1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Will an xj650 maxim engine fit in a uk xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Russell_P, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Russell_P

Russell_P New Member

I live in the UK and own a 1981 xj650 (uk model). The engine has a LOT of miles on it and is very tired. A guy locally is selling a low mileage engine from an imported maxim. Can this simply be used to replace my original engine (are the engine mounting points in the same place etc)?

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

I cannot see why they would not swap. According to the beloved Haynes manual, both engines share the same specifications for internals, so I will say you should pick it up. Mounting points should be exactly the same. You may want to hook up with Zappered Tank (there is another bloke in your neck of the woods who does a lot of chopping and swapping but his name escapes me right now. Search the forums for modifications) and Best of luck to you.

3. Russell_P

Russell_P New Member

Thanks for that. It may have been a stupid question (possibly), but I've only been an XJ owner for just over a week so I'm a complete newbie to working on XJ's.

4. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Maxims and Secas had the engines mounted differently but the mounting points were all in the engine case. Only thing different would be the mounting bolts. But since you have your originals from your engine this is no problem Just note how yours mount. Yours probably has an oil cooler but it will bolt right up.

5. Russell_P

Russell_P New Member

Another question. Would a 1989 XJ900 engine and carbs fit in the 650 frame? I've just found a 900 for sale. Would the 650 frame be up to the job structure wise?

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

I could not say, never seen a 900 and I don't have any documentation for the 900. I've read on this forum that the lower end on the 900 is the same as the 650 and 750 blocks but I cannot certify this. Get out your tape measure and start taking notes is all I can suggest.