1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help a 15 year old building a bike.. Wiring harness fitment?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tyler93, Sep 30, 2008.

1. tyler93

tyler93 Member

What ive have been working on is a 1982 yamaha xj650j that the wiring harness was crap.. did not have the time to be doing re wiring nor did i want to mess anything up and end up breaking something or shorting.. so i was on ebay saw a 1982 yamaha xj650RJ wiring harness for cheap it is known good one.. very cheap 34 bucks including shipping so will it fit on a xj650j because it is for a 1982 xj650rj?? and i know the rj has to horns and possibly different tach idk though? what will i have to terminate.i appreaciate any help

thanks

-tyler

2. smythe302

smythe302 New Member

someone will probably correct me if i'm wrong but i believe its the difference between maxim and seca. you have the maxim and the online harness would be the seca. i just tracked down the wiring diagrams for both. wont help with lengths if they are different.

online wiring diagrams

3. tyler93

tyler93 Member

Yes if seen the diagrams and they look exactly the same besides the extra hook up for the second horn on the xj650RJ.. and my bike the xj650j only has 1 horn..

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Be prepared to do some cutting and splicing.
    You might find that a component connector won't reach where its mounted on the Maxim.

You'll have a few extra items of Circuitry, too.
    Battery Sensor
    Fuel Level Sensor
    Fog Light
    Head Light
    Brake Master Cylinder Sensor ...

just some stuff like that.

5. tyler93

tyler93 Member

On the diagram of the 1982 yamaha xj650rj it didnt say any of those on it. Can you explain how to do this do i just cut those wires off or tuck them in somewhere and not use them. can i just cut them off and tape them off.Or cut them and then put a cap on the ends?

6. RickCoMatic

Once I get home I'll look-up the two '82 Models and see if the 82 Seca had the Computer Instrument Panel.

Your Bike won't have the Computer Panel, so I'd say ... just "Blank-off" what you don't have or don't need.

Somebody with a '82 Seca will be in the house, shortly, to clarify this for us.
    We'll get to the bottom of it one way or another.

7. schooter

schooter Active Member

wow, im 17, im mechanically inclined on junk stuff, or things that dont run,yet, but if it runs im hands off, unless its something easy. But as far as the wiring harness goes, you may want to avoid cutting the wires you dont need, cuz say you dont get your bike running, or the engine blows and you cant fix it, or something like that, then you can part it out and have a complete harness for a maxim or seca... idk, id jsut tape the free wires to the other wires or something, jsut something to think about.

8. tyler93

tyler93 Member

yeah i fear that will cause a short circuit and blow back and and fry my reciftor or my ignitor those are big bucks if im gunnah do it im going to to do it right. I could rebuild that engine for 200 bucks. just the top end though it only has 9 grand on it anyway its fine.

Rickomatic thank you for your help here i deeply appreaciate it.

9. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Thing is, a lot of the current supply goes through the computer, so it can measure current draw for headlight, taillight, etc. You'll actually need to jumper together the connections whose circuits would have run through the computer.

10. tyler93

tyler93 Member

what do you mean by ''JUMPER''?

11. tyler93

tyler93 Member

The difference on these bikes are that one has 2 horns and one has a flasher canceling unit and the headlight relay and flasher relay? so what would i do.everything is the same besides that could i just throw that on and have a full harness with everything that the rj has and would it work i have all the compnents? does anyone catch my drift

12. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Well, for example, there's a 9-pin connector that goes to the computer - in that connector is a blue wire that carries supply for some of the lighting and a blue/white that goes to the tail lights. These two are connected together in the SECA computer by a .47 ohm resistor to measure voltage drop and verify that the taillight is working. Without the computer you'd need to connect these two pins directly together, but, IIRC, the blue also supplies one or two other circuits so it would need to be jumpered to one or two other pins as well. Without jumpering, things like the taillight, headlight, etc, won't get power.

Problem is, without a SECA computer for reference, it may not be easy to tell how these pins are supposed to be connected - the wiring diagrams treat the computer as a black box. If the wiring colors are the same on the Maxim, though, you should be able to see what needs to be jumpered based on what doesn't exist in the Maxim harness.

13. tyler93

tyler93 Member

Alright so with the 1982 xj650rj harness put on my bike would i be able to just hook up what NEEDS to be hooked up and start the bike without the headlight taillight or anything and deal with that later im trying to get the bike running here are some pics.

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk18/runge123/

14. Fongdingo

Fongdingo Member

hey you should look harder for the right harness for the bike, its just not a matter of do i tape off the connectors but the length all togrther. the more splices you put in the more problems you create down the road. shout out in the swap and sell section on this fourm and wait a day on or so on the ebay.

15. schooter

schooter Active Member

wow kid, lol, u put alot of work into this bike, good work, just looks like it needs a really good bath.

16. schooter

schooter Active Member

you're really mechanically inclined, looks like you run a scrap yard for yamaha out of your garage. But yup, nice bike, jsut needs tlc, say where do u live? like michigan anywhere?

17. RickCoMatic

What a Slide Show!
    From the looks of that frame at the Swing Arm Bearings ... it looks like you put some of your Heart and Soul into the project.

No sense of half-stepping after doing all that.
    Put-out the A-P-B for a Wiring Harness that fits!
    No hacking and splicing.
    Done right!

I'll do some looking-around in the Greater New England area and see if I can get you hooked-up with a Real McCoy!
    Let's hope we get lucky; find you the right one ... and, let you finish-up resurrecting that 650 Max right!

18. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Nevermind. I was operating from assumption rather than from facts. I am pretty familiar with the 1982 XJ750RJ and I assumed that the XJ650RJ would be pretty close. It's not that close. The BIG difference is that the SECA 650 does not have the computer. So, while installing an XJ750RJ harness on your bike would be impractical, the 650 harness might not be too bad... it's certainly closer at least.

Sorry for any confusion or discouragement.

Paul

19. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Re: Help a 15 year old building a bike.. Wiring harness fitm

Right the '82 650 Seca has no computer, it is as plain jane as it gets.
    Mechanical evrything.
    Like someone said you may come up short on length somewhere but that should be the worst of it.

20. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would look for the correct harness. Maxim stuff comes up on eBay a lot more frequently than Seca stuff; I'll bet a careful troll right now would net you a Maxim harness. The main problem will be the locations of some of the components, affecting wire length.