1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

K&N or UNI airfilter

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Gerrypw, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Gerrypw

Gerrypw Member

There doesn't seem to be any other choice. Can anybody tell me which one is better? They talk about increased air flow. Does that mean rejetting?

I feel me bike getting a little sluggish these days. I still have my lightly fueled soaked original air filter on my bike. I sort of half-assed the cleaning because that bike runs no matter what.

I am looking for low maintenance and good performance. Aren't we all.

I rode a Harley VRod this weekend. I was impressed with the style but not the performance vs price aspect.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You may wish to keep the original paper filter, the X-models do not respond too well to higher intake air flows.

The K&N filter flows more air than the UNI. The stock paper style filters flow the least amount of air.

I carry all three styles in stock, drop me a note for prices, etc.

3. Ease

Ease Member

I run a uni just for convenience... just take it out, clean it and re-oil it when it gets dirty... plus it's much cheaper than K&N.

Didn't have to rejet either. Bike runs excellent.

4. Gerrypw

Gerrypw Member

Is the Seca as sensitive as the X?

5. CdnDave77

CdnDave77 Member

I put a UNI in my 750 this spring, and haven't had an issue. No rejetting and the plug chops came out bang-on the mark. I would think the K&N would require a rejet, but I don't know of anyone locally that has used one.

I would think the actual airbox intake would be more of a contributor to the restriction of airflow, therefore the perceived benefit of a K&N for the additional cost would be eliminated.

Footnote : I do run a K&N in my truck though... wonderful things for V-8 engines.

6. richt

richt Member

K&N seems to really work well, or really botch an air intake path. Listen to chacal on this if he's had experience with poor performance.

My other bike 'bmw' has a k&n only because it came with it. I've actually experimented with restricting the intake to some degree to increase intake pressure. When I closed things up, I had better startup and off the line performance, but a flat spot in the mids. Opened things 1/2 way back up, and things sweetened up. Bottom line, the airflow restriction of the paper filter allows greater intake vacuum between the carbs and cylinders. This provides better fuel atomization at lower RPM's. If you're constantly redlining it, you may benefit from the open intake. If you want off the line smoothness, it may be hard to beat stock.

7. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

I've been using the UNI (got it from chacal) and so far no apparent difference between it and my old paper filter (which I am temporarily holding on to just in case). I did follow the recommendations and sprayed it with the "filter oil" as UNI recommends prior to inserting it. I assume my 86 and your 85 would show similar behavior.

8. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

NOt trying to hijack the thread but since we're talking oil filters.
    Anyone ever hear of DORCY oil filters?