1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dust Wiper Removal?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by gregu, Dec 7, 2008.

1. gregu

gregu Member

I have an 82 XJ750 sitting for 10 years with leaks around the front sliders and no air pressure. Putting bike on the road so I pulled them off bike for tear down.

I have the springs and bottom valve out (disconnected from allen bolt at bottom of slider).

I pull fork tube against dust wiper but not budging. I heated top of slider and pull fork tube against wiper, no budge. I'm afraid that I will beat internals if I pull more/harder.

Is there a trick to get the wipers out?

2. flash1259

flash1259 Member

leaking around the front sliders? You might as well do it right the first time. I learned the hard way, You will need Fork Oil Seals And dust seals.

Chacal ( resident parts man) has parts for you Below I have added a link to the thread that details on the procedure of removal and insertion of new parts.
    Its really not all that hard to do . just pay attention to the thread. esspecially ones from rickomatic the resident guru.

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic ... +seal.html

here are 65 threads concerning fork seals.

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/search/mode=results.html

Get a service manual too or better yet get the xjcd thats sold on this site

3. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

Use a flatblade screwdriver to gently, I said GENTLY pry up on the dust seal. You just want the blade to penetrate the seam between the dust seal and the top of the aluminum fork leg. You DO NOT want it to hit the steel fork tube, you might scratch the chrome surface. Under the dust seal will probably be a gooey mess so grab some paper towels and clean it up. You should see a metal circlip and the fork seal. Remove the circlip and then you should be able to pull the steel fork tube out of the aluminum fork leg.
    Hope this is what you needed

Sean

4. gregu

gregu Member

Thanks Sean & Flash 1259.

I plan to replace seals, wiper, and bushings once I get the forks open. I do have a Yamaha service manual. It's a PDF file made from microfiche and does not show any shortcuts. It details the steps to tear down the forks but does not elaborate on the wiper removal.

From the forum it looks like the wipers come out 1st then a circlip so pulling on the tubes will do nothing. I may try the screwdriver, or thread a screw into the wiper and apply upward pressure to dislodge it from the slider.
    Greg

5. gregu

gregu Member

Gents, gentle screwdriver worked and dust wipers removed. Circlip and washer came out but now the oil seal is stuck. I suspect the same method-screwdriver.

Although manual says heat slider and remove oil seal but no elaboration. Any special insight?

6. dinoracer

dinoracer Member

Wouldnt use a screwdriver on the oil seal, that one will take a couple of good pulls or yanks. Then you should get the seal and the fork tube out of the fork leg. Have one person hang on to the fork leg and the other yank on the fork tube. It will come apart now as long as the allen screw at the bottom of the fork leg is out and that the circlip holding the fork seal is off.

Have to add one more thing.. Make sure that they forks are out of oil before you start the tug of war or you will have oil all over the place!!!

Sean

7. richt

richt Member

+1 on getting the forks out. You're going to think you've emptied all the oil out of the forks, but think again. You will have to dump out the contents of the fork to get all the oil out. If you've got a screen over an oil catch, that works well.

Do yourself another favor while you're getting new parts, invest in the spanner type clips that have eyelets instead of the wire c-clips that are stock. You can get them at any decent hardware store.

I had to do several really strong yanks on the tube to get the fork seal out on mine. To get the new one back in, I used a chunk of PVC, but it broke up while I was driving the seal.

8. gregu

gregu Member

Update to all:
    I did get the Fork tubes to come apart. Previous owner had driven the metal slide spacer down and over the slide. The spacer was cone shaped from the misalignment where it should have been flat. That's why it was soooo hard to break loose.
    Greg

9. SpoonDaddy

SpoonDaddy New Member

You got a copy of that PDF for replacing the seals

my 93 xj600 is leaking out of the left fork seal(or dust seal)
    or what ever it is
    and my bikes front rides a good 2" down from where it should

so i need
    Fork Oil
    Fork Seals
    Dust Seals

is that it

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You might want to consider a set of new Progressive Suspension fork springs while you're at it. They're usually well under $100, and a worthwhile upgrade to the stock suspension even if it WEREN'T sagged out.

11. gregu

gregu Member

To Spoon Daddy
    Send your email address to me at dgulrick@verizon.net and I can send the pdf to you. It's a pretty big file so I may zip it.
    Greg