1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

petcock left in pri position

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by reichert35, Jan 14, 2009.

1. reichert35

reichert35 New Member

I recently changed the oil in my 82 seca 650 not long befor that i had the petcock and rebuilt and carbs cleaned. Then about two days ago i started my bike but the only way it would start was in pri and unfortunatly i forgot to turn it back to the on position until today how can i tell if it draind gas in to the motor i already drained the oil into a pan but i cant tell if there is gas in it or not... thanks

2. stevo

stevo Member

If you've kept the drained oil you could measure the amount drained. If there's more than you put in, you can assume some gas made it through your seals...It might be worth a shot.

3. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

The nose knows. Give the oil a good smell you will smell the gas in the oil. I always take the oil fill plug off and smell before every ride.

4. reichert35

reichert35 New Member

it doesn't smell as strong as gas but it does smell a little like it and the thickness is the same as new oil im not real sure im going to try and mesure it and ill let you know thanks agin

5. reichert35

reichert35 New Member

4 and a half quarts

6. turtlemann14

turtlemann14 Member

take a sample(small amount) and run a flame near it

was there any gas in the cylinder?

7. rhys

rhys Member

*snicker*

It only takes a little whiff, though. Smelling the thing for ten minutes doesn't count!

8. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

The oils already out of the bike just put fresh oil in and call it a day.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Let's clear something up here. Leaving the petcock on PRI once does NOT necessarily mean you got gas in your oil unless you had a float valve issue.

That being said, even perfectly functional floats act up once in a while, which is the reason for the petcock to begin with.

Hound is right, if you've already drained the oil, put in fresh oil and be done with it. It only uses about 2 1/2 litres, 4 1/2 qts IS too much unless that's how much you put in there?

Better than smell (your crankcase WILL smell somewhat of gasoline that's normal) the best practice is to check your oil BEFORE every ride. If it suddenly has more in it than it should, you have an issue that needs to be followed up on.

Quick, easy FOOLPROOF oil checking procedure:
    Bike on sidestand you should see nothing in the oil sight glass.
    Watch the sight glass as you begin to bring the bike back up toward vertical, you should see the oil come up in the window.
    Put the bike on the centerstand (or hold vertical) the oil should be just ABOVE the top mark, but with a bubble showing at the top. SLIGHT overfill (to above the mark) is OK because it keeps your oil level sensor happy during acceleration. Gotta still see a "bubble" at the top.

10. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

+1 i leave mine on often, no problems yet.

also, if you really want to know if the fuel is inthere, light it! you shouldnt be able to light it. thats how we check for gasoline in diesel. or, you could put some in a styrofoam cup and see if the cup melts.

you got the oil out, put fresh in and GO! 8)