1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CARB BOOTS

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MACDBF, Jan 31, 2009.

1. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

Hello again,
    I'm still having a hard time getting my carbs back into the boots. Is it ok to heat the boots up a little on the airbox side with a heat gun, or would that end up ruining the boots. This is starting to get very frustrating :x
    Cheers Mac.

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Be carefull and just warm them up enough to be plyable. I like to use a hair dryer so the heat doesn't get too concentrated. Lube up the edges of the carbs with some dielectric grease. Just alittle to make them slide in easyier.
    Make sure you get the front tire up against the wall or something so you can push hard. You wouldn't want to dump the bike by pushing it off of the center stand.

3. stevo

stevo Member

I replaced mine with the home depot couplings that are mentioned in a couple threads here. They are very pliable and fit perfectly snug. They cost about 12 bucks for four of them and the substitution eliminated an ongoing idling issue that I wasn't able to shake.
    To install them, I fold them in half and put a ziptie on each one. After getting them respectively positioned, I clip the tie with my wire snips. A squeeze or two on each coupling, and they are seated perfectly.

4. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

See post titled "How hot does a carb get?" For the home depot info with pictures.

5. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

Thanks again guys, like I said this is starting to get a little frustrating. Just want to get these carbs back on, and hope that there is little adjustment needed.
    Cheers Mac

6. Danilo

Danilo Member

Boil the things in water for a half hour It softens them up a bit so they are easier to refit.

7. HalfCentury

HalfCentury Member

I microwaved mine for 90 seconds or so wrapped in a wet paper towel.

8. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Not sure I would want to boil for 30 mins. I'm afraid the little beggars might shrivel away to nothing! I would place in a pan of hot water say 180-200 deg. Just before I was going to install each one. 2-3 mins. Should be plenty. Just enough to soften them up not make them fork tender!

9. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

Well, I finally was able to push the carb boots threw the air box! I took your advice with the hair dryer vice the heat gun. Didn't take too much time to soften the GD things up either. Now it's just a matter of getting the cap screws I need (should be here this week) and waiting for the snow to go away :lol: Which because of some fury litle, annoying ground hog, who saw his shadow today will be in another six weeks or so. Just heard on the news, we're expecting 25-30 cm (12 inches or so) of snow again tomorow :x Anyway, thank you all again, hopfully there won't be too much adjustment once I get fired up again, if so... well, I'll deal with it then.
    Cheers, Mac

10. Daplumma

Daplumma Member

I am a plumber and after reading about the ferco couplings I grabbed a couple off of my truck and went into the shop to test them out.Here is what I found.The fernco couplings are a little too large and require modifications for them to work.There are "no hub" fittings that are thinner rubber that fit without mods.Remove the rubber from the stel band and turn them inside out for a quick easy fit.Wish I had known this before I ordered a new set of rubbers.
    Joe....the plumber

11. xj750sam

xj750sam New Member

Hi, i am new to this site and if i am posting in the wrong place please let me know. I have an 1985 xj750 that i need carb boots for. It is a farely rare bike, its a 750 engine in a 900 frame with suspension dampers on the front forks (jap model) and i cant find the boots any where. If anyone could help i would be so greatfull because i am loooking for over 2 years.
    The frame number is 29r-0001012 and on this site it says it is a 1983 jap model.

12. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

PM Chacal and give him your engine numbers and he should be able to help

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

XJ750Sam, you are in the right place so good on you.
    However, you have committed the sin of "thread-jacking" which is a no-no in netiquette.
    Being the new guy usually means that these errors happen so we will all good-naturedly ignore this one.
    You should post your question in your very own thread (get to jump into the deep end early!).
    I will welcome you as well and also suggest you contact Chacal (he is our resident XJ parts guru). He will happily supply you with needed parts as well as informed and knowledgeable service advice.
    Welcome to the fold and please post pictures at your earliest, I'd like to see your machine!