1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

92 xj600 Seca II Probs Need Help! Read all!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TwistedEvo8, Feb 12, 2009.

1. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Hey Guys! I have been having a prob with this bike! It was running fine for a while and then I laid it down. It started up after that and it smoked a little for a few days then cleared up. After that it sat for a while. I ran it once in a while and it ran fine even revved up! The front forks were bent. So now I got it almost ready to go but when she starts up the motor wont rev it just stalls and I cant take it off choke or it dies!

I know little to nothing about carbs! Im learning as I go. I know some of the stuff and have cleaned everything I could on the carbs! I took both front and back plates off and took needle/floats out and cleaned everything. Took the diaphragm out and cleaned everything.

The Oil had some gas in it from sitting so I drained that! I drained the gas out and put new 93 in it. And I took the carbs off and cleaned them with carb cleaner and used a guitar string to clean every little hole and checked everything! When blowing into the fuel inlet the carbs close and open fine when floats are on/off. I check the diaphragm and all. Put it all back together and when it starts on choke I still cant rev it at all just stalls. Choke off and it stalls. The carbs seem to puff/spit once in a while. I also ran sea foam through it and put some in the gas. The plugs get fouled after every time. I check all 4 and clean them and they all spark. I need to get new plugs. I called a local shop and he said the idle jet is clogged..

I have no clue what that is can anyone tell me or help me find it.. I know the needle attached to the float is new and clean. The carbs were rebuilt not long ago. Maybe a year. I also set all the screws on the front of the bike 2 turns out. I cant figure it out!

Help me out please! I want to ride this summer :) I want to get her drivable so I can get it to a shop to get carbs synced.

Thanks!
    Tim

P.s anyone have pics of the carbs and tells me whats what? I know the slide, diaphragm, floats and some other stuff but not everything.

2. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Hey Guys I think I fixed it! After posting this I did some research and what parts of the carb are what and found the idle jet and all 4 were clogged bad. I couldn't even get a guitar string to go through them without a lot of force. After working with them for a little while I could see light! I put it all back together and after turning over for a while 1 cyl after the other started to fire up! And it sounded like it worked! Bike revved up and I cut her off because there is no oil in the motor. Im going to go get some oil and plugs tomorrow! Ill let you know how it go's I may make a DIY on how to clean carbs with pics ill see. It wont look as good because the carb are like new now lol

3. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

[quote="there is no oil in the motor. [/quote]

WHAT? Are you insane?

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

umm.. yeah. I wouldn't run the motor ANY MORE AT ALL with no oil in it. These are plain-bearing motors, they require oil pressure to keep the bearings from instantly self destructing. That's not a 2-stroke motocross engine.

5. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Yes I understand that guys. It doesn't run more then a few sec. Not even over 500 rpm before I cut it off. Was only a 1 time thing to see. Im going out today to get oil and filter. Plugs if I can find them.

Also do you guys think my bars are bent? I laid it down a while ago and it slid into the guard rail. I bought used forks and a fzr 600 tree (clipon's) When I put the new sat on the handlebars wont line up with the front tire its off only by a little. And no matter how far i turn them to the left and tighten them down after a few turns they hare back. There is no visible bend, and I rolled the silver shafts on a table like a pool stick to see any bends, and didn't see anything.. Could this be the tree or forks?

6. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Pictures dude.

7. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Pics of what?

8. bigfitz52

Did you REPLACE the bent forks mentioned in your original post? If so, your front forks could still be TWISTED in the triple trees without being bent. If the fork tubes are bent, none of what I have outlined here will help.

Here's the fix:

Starting at the bottom: Loosen and then snug back up the axle nut, the fender bolts, the lower triple clamp pinch bolts, and the upper triple clamp pinch bolts. The top ones should be GOOD and snug.

Take the bike off the stand. Hold the front brake and bounce the front end through a few compression strokes.

Put the bike back on the center stand, and again starting at the bottom, properly torque all the stuff you had loosened.

At this point the forks themselves should be as straight as they're going to get. If the bars still point off at an odd angle either they, their mounts or the upper triple clamp could be bent.

9. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Ok thanks Ill try this! I did buy used shocks to replace the visibly bent ones. I also replaced the tree with a used FZR600 tree. How far should the shocks stuck up on the top the triple tree? I have it about 1/2 inch Meybe a little less. I can get the tire lined up pretty good maybe a inch off max but it still is off. Ill try what you said and take some pics and report back! Thanks again!

10. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Also what spark plugs should I get? I have Ngk r cr8e Im not sure where to find them.

Nvm i got plugs a filter and oil shes running good still a little sputter and some smoke from the sea foam but after this tank she should be good.

11. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

OK I got it running good. It got clogged again so I had to clean them out! I need to clean the inside of my tank! Whats the best way of doing this? I was thinking a little off the shelf stuff? Would a light sandblast be bad? And flush it out a lot! Then let dry? It looks like it has rust and a lot of varnish in it. Bike only has 11k miles but been around for a few years lol

12. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

It depends on how thorough you want to get with it. POR 15 makes a tank sealing kit. Are you running an external, inline filter or just the filter that's on the tank valve? I dunno about Seca II's, but the common advice for us older bikes is to supplement the petcock filter with an external filter.

I would drain the tank into a gas can, pour the contents of the gas can into another gas can, but through a coffee filter. Then pour the cleaner fuel back into your tank, and repeat the cycle a few times until the coffee filter isn't catching anymore debris.

My tank definitely had some funk in it, but the external filter trapped it all, and I just kept frequently replacing them until the filter remained clean.

13. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Yea I do have a small inline filter next to the fuel pump. But i seem to be getting varnish like buildup in the carbs. Im thinking the lines are old and have stuff in them and since the seafoam is at work its backing up the jets past the filter. Yea I used the old gas before i drained it to shake the hell out of the tank and omg the amount of crap that came out was amazing! The bottom of a 5 gallon bucket was black.

Also I plaid with the forks and I seem to have fixed them! They are staying straight! I think I need to put a brace on the bottom where the wheel fender was to help support the system. Or buy a fender.

14. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Hey Im going to sync the carbs my self with the DIY Setup of 2 cycle oil and some tubing. I see the vacuum tubes on the xj600 carbs are joined together.. How do I do this with this kinda carb setup? Or am I way off here..

15. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

By "joined together", I think you're referring to the YICS system which means that the head is cross-drilled with a path connecting all the cylinders. There is a block-off tool that you buy to disable this while you synch the carbs.

You're bike is considerably newer than most of ours. Your engine still has the YICS feature?

I do recall reading that the 2 cycle oil and tubing method works fine because it's not really important how much vacuum each cylinder is pulling, only that they are equal to each other.

16. bigfitz52

If you're talking about tubing coming off the CARBS that's joined together, that's not where vacuum lines for synch are hooked up. There are "spigots" on the top of each INTAKE MANIFOLD (the rubber bit between the carb and the motor) that usually have a rubber cap on them (except the one that goes to the petcock.) You remove the caps and attach the vacuum lines there.

17. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Im not sure I took some photos and ill point out the parts.
    The big box are the connected vacuum spots the smaller ones are the other sides that are sealed off.

[​IMG]

18. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

Ok I think I found them here is a pic. They have a screw on each intake manifold. Is this the spot? <--- Thats what she said hah

Thanks for the help. Sorry to be asking so many questions but Im on a tight budget and always love working on motors so more fun and you learn more then bringing it to a shop and paying cash. And its hard to find the information you need for this bike since its kinda rare.

Forgot to add the pics lol

[​IMG]

19. TwistedEvo8

TwistedEvo8 New Member

well I need to find a threaded hose barb to screw into the holes. I had to clean the carbs once again today. Everyday they get clogged so im guessing the inline filter is old or not a filter.. And I replaced all the fuel lines with new fuel line. And after putting it all together I started the bike up the carbs are spitting. The small hole on the top of the carb for the main and idle jets have fuel flowing out of them when running. Im guessing the float is stuck open in that carb? When the carb puffs or spits whats going on?

20. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

Dang man, I'd really flush and drain that tank, and replace the inline filter if you're clogging up after you clean them every time. It does sound like your float valve is stuck open on that carb.