1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Touch up paint

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 7-13, Jul 31, 2006.

1. 7-13

7-13 Member

What's the best source for touch up paint? Where do I find my paint code?

2. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

3. 7-13

7-13 Member

Good site but it only goes back to 86.

4. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

Yeah, and even searching other years gets me nothing for Yamaha for 1986 or 1988.

Perusing the XJ-CD shows me three different types of silver paint, Quartz Silver, Crystal Silver and Star Silver. The Crystal was only for the Turbo, I believe. The Quartz was on an XJ650 Seca, and the Star Silver was on a 550 Maxim, and 400 Seca. I guess that doesn't help a whole lot.

5. 7-13

7-13 Member

Well, it narrows it down to two out of three.... I'll check with my local Yamaha dealer. Thanks!

6. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

Just found another "Frost Silver" from a XJ650J owners manual supplement.

7. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

Actually, I wouldn't sweat finding the exact paint code, since the Yamaha dealer likely has no idea where to get touch up paint anyway. Take a removable part like a sidepanel and go to a reputable auto paint supplier. They likely have paint chips from hundreds of different cars there and will be able to match it up. I have worked at such a shop during the last two summers while in school. I have mixed paints for hundreds of different cars. If you have the exact code, you will get and exact match, but I have seen good paint people match chips by eye so close that you cannot tell the difference. Some paints are very tricky to mix, sometimes taking as little as 1/10th of a gram of some colors to get the match correctly. Others are simple, like Chrysler Kalapana black, which is simply a DuPont black paint. Some can have up to a dozen or more colors. GM white has both black and blue in it, if you can believe that. Silver is usually not a terribly difficult color to match, since it is usually made up of either a coarse aluminum, or fine aluminum, with some others to lighten or darken the tone, or give it a "hue" of some sort. Some DuPont dealers also have a process called ChromaVision, where a digital camera take several shots of the color to be matched, then checks it against a database of predetermined recipes to get a match. It works ok, but not a good as an experienced paint professional.