1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Exhaust woes.

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by carson2, Aug 1, 2006.

1. carson2

carson2 New Member

OK.
    Who here has replaced there exhaust.
    What did you replace it with and what else did you have to do to keep things in check.
    This has to be a very common problem I would think.
    I can't have the only rusting mufflers in need of replacement.
    Any help is appriciated.. :? :cry: :?

2. 7-13

7-13 Member

It depends on what you want.... E-Bay can be the best place for used exhaust. If you're just looking something that works, that's your best bet. If you want something new, check out www.denniskirk.com or www.oldbikebarn.com. New exhaust will run $350+ for the whole system. If you only need the muffler, check out www.mikesxs.com. This is a site for XS bikes but I think the mufflers are the same. Not sure on this.... I'm sure others will comment.

Just found this.... http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductDetail ... ID=4032849

3. carson2

carson2 New Member

My concern is having to do major, rather than minor, carborator rework.
    I'd really like to change the style but if that means big problems, then it's not that important.
    I'm wondering what tuning changes have to be made if I installing a Mac system or something similar.
    I'm not really looking for an increase in performance, maybe a little different sound and a shiny new exhaust.
    So who's done it and what did it entail?

4. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    If you change your flow then you'll need to change your carbs. Meaning if you're running a stock 4-2-1-2 pipe and switch to a 4-1 pipe then you will need to rejet almost 100% of the time. If you keep the same 4-2-1-2 style you'll probably be fine with the same jetting.

I was recently at a carb clinic - if I was ever to change my pipes I'd colorTune to see where I was. While you've got that far - do the sync.

ColorTune and sync are very easy.

If you find you aren't running properly (by inspecting the plugs or by the colourTune) then you will have to go further. If you're not sure then you could have a shop do it - or ask other people what they are running for that particular pipe.

Woot.

5. robista361

robista361 Member

how bad are they rusted Carson?

6. LoDollarDave

LoDollarDave Member

Hi Carson,
    Woot is right on the money regarding airlfow/exhaust changes - any change to the way air enters and exits the bike will necessitate jetting changes. Not difficult to do, just a little time consuming (but fun in the testing/tuning stage - wide open throttle settings @ high rpm to set the mainjets - WOOOHOOO!). Replacement Hitachi jets are available through Sudco, jetting kits from Dynajet, and guidelines and advice from the following sources: xs11.com (search for Denny Zander's Jetting Recommendations) and factorypro.com CV carb tuning procedure (they have the only procedure I've found that works). If you're on a tight budget, obtain a spare set of used jets from a donor set of carbs (wrecker) and a set of jewellers drills in the appropriate sizes. A color tune plug will help get the mixtures right, but is not absolutely necessary using the factory pro procedure.
    If you go to a more free flowing exhaust (eg. 4-1 with large can or glass pack muffler) be prepared to mount individual air filters (remove the airbox) or drill out the bottom of the stock airbox. Free flowing exhast with restricted intake will make getting the jetting extremely difficult if not impossible. There's a few other tricks to opening up the airflow under the seat (at least on a Seca) which can also help - most vendors can supply you with the K&N style filters for about $150(?). Airbox mods are certainly more cost effective and seem to work quite well.
    I'm currently running an older Jardine 4-1 pipe and GSXR750 muffler with (approximately - I used the drill method)#45 pilot jets and #134 main jets. I also drilled the slides as per the Dynojet kit recommendations. Using the factorypro procedure, mods and testing/tuning were accomplished on a Saturday, with final tuning the following Saturday (the bike ran better than ever the after the first Saturday, but once you start dialing in the jets and agressively testing it becomes obessesive!). I now get decent fuel economy, smooth idle, good low rpm pull, and rocket-like accleration from 3k to redline. Sounds like a GSXR. Definitely worth the effort, but if you don't like fussing and tinkering, or are pressed for time or patience, you might want to stick with stock set-ups.

7. carson2

carson2 New Member

Thanks for the responses.
    At this time, I'm looking at either a 4-2 exhaust complete or just a muffler change.
    I want to retain the two pipe look.
    My pipes from the head to the muffler are in good shape.
    Since I'm not looking for big performance gains, I'd really like to just replace the mufflers and save the cash for other things that I'm going to need.
    What's the odds of putting a couple of 19 inch turn outs, with steel baffle core, without causing a jetting problem.
    I'm planning on carb sync and colortune.
    I'm eyeballing a set from JC Whitney.
    $43.99 each, and move on.
    If my existing mufflers were in good shape, I wouldn't even be considering a change.
    I guess I'm more show than go. :D

8. eatatjoz

eatatjoz Member

Do you have a bone yard nearby?

If you don't want to rejet and go through a lot of hassle, but still want the hands on approach, try the junk yard method.
    Get your O.D. from the pipes and go huntin'. Try to find something aftermarket with easy access to the baffles. Adding or removing the packing should produce the right back pressure on the system, and with a little trial and error, you'll be up and running in no time.

As far as the JC whitney stuff goes... I have no clue. I'm guessing that a few tweeks on the air screws would fix any mixture issues, but like I said, just guessing.