1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Engine Clear Coat

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kq6up, Mar 2, 2009.

1. kq6up

kq6up New Member

My clear coat is flaking off. This is the only thing besides a good steam clean that makes my bike look ugly. Is it possible to have the CC re-done cheaply, or would this cost an arm and a leg.

Chris KQ6UP

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Strip it all off and polish what's underneath.

3. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

agreed, if you like the unpolished look use the dremel steel wool bit and it will strip the clear off and give you a nice look

4. mykl8

mykl8 New Member

I overhauled my '83 Maxim and I cleaned all of the engine covers with a glass bead machine then painted them with PPG Clearcoat.
    I also cleared the shocks, peg brackets, final drive gearbox and rear handle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Grynen

Grynen Member

Hey Mykl8 is that a paint job on the exhaust or powder coat.

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Turned out very nicely Mykl8! What did the PPG run you and what equipment did you use to shoot it?

7. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

How does the clearcoat hold up with the engine heat? If well, I might polish mine out then clear it.

8. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

Any word yet?

9. mykl8

mykl8 New Member

I was working at a helicopter shop in Vancouver BC at the time (2 years ago) so the paint was free and I used the paint booth and guns there. Not sure on the brand of guns they had a few hundred layers of paint on them lol. I think it was PPG, I know for sure that it has "2000" in the name of the clear and that it is super tough almost casing. My friend painted his '83 Interceptor Black with clear, then he decided to go with flat black and it took him forever to blast off the paint. We had a P.R.A.M machine specifically for paint removal (Plastic Reusable Abrasive Media) http://www.compomat.com/plasticGrit.asp ... agodwGo8lg

The painter at the helicopter shop told me I was taking a chance on the clear as it is not a base coat plus the engine heat. I glass beaded the head and cylinder but I didnt clear them because I was afraid it would peel.
    its been about 2 years since I painted and it is holding strong on all the parts except the rear handle. And the only reason that it is peeling is because I didnt clean it properly after demasking from painting the black inlay (I used my bare hands on clean metal)

As for polishing it I dont know how well the clear will stick. I would do either or, polish and hope it doesnt tarnish, maybe use a car wax? I dont know. Or if you have the facility use a glass bead and clean it really well with paint thinner then clear.

It was a Mac performance exhaust from http://www.bikebandit.com/product/12773 ... 2&t=1&td=1 it was chrome at first but that year I didnt have storage so it sat outside in the snow quite like Wesley there. after the winter all the chrome was pitted and nasty looking. I heard of a few guys using a ceramic paint on turbos and exhaust manifolds for cars so I looked into it and I found some similar at Canadian Tire Engine paint good to something like 5000 degrees. They have multiple colors and you should be able to find it at an automotive parts store. I bought 2 cans for about $20 each. First you paint it then right after you cure it at 650 degrees for one hour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]