1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

oil changing xj550

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by BikeRanger, Mar 4, 2009.

1. BikeRanger

BikeRanger Member

hey guys this might be some where already in the forums but i didnt see it. im used to cars so this may come off a little stupid of a question. but how do i change the oil on my xj550.

if taken of the oil filter and drain plug. ive read that the transmission and clutch run off the same oil as the engine does? is this true? because in a car the tranny fluid is seperate then the clutch fluid and the engine oil.

also ive read that there is another plug somewhere in the mid part of the engine holding oil for another part of the engine.

next stupid question is, once all my oil is out where do i put more oil in? there is a small cap just over to the right of the clutch. is this where the oil goes or is this simply the clutch fluid cap?

any help would be really appreiciated guys. thanks in advance.

oh yeah pictures would help me alot.

2. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

As far as i know just one drain plug on the front lower portion on the engine between the exhaust pipes. also the hole on the right side on the engine in front of the clutch cable is the oil fill dont put anything else in it or your bike will hate you. this bike has a cable clutch -hence - no clutch fluid.

Sorry no picts at the moment

3. japple999

japple999 Member

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Pictures not really necessary. In order of your questions:

Yes, engine, clutch, trans all one big 2.2 litre bucket of oil. 20W40 or 20W50 conventional, "motorcycle" oil or car oil with no friction modifiers (no "energy saving" stuff.) Avoid synthetics.

That "middle gear drain" is only on the shaft drive bikes. We don't have that affliction.

That small cap on the clutch cover is your oil fill. The bike takes 2200ccs (or 2300ccs) of oil; 2.2-2.3 litres. (2 1/2 quarts.)

The oil filter goes in with the "dimple" side facing away from the motor (or into the housing.) The spring goes between the filter housing and the filter to push the flat side of the filter against the motor. There should be a washer between the spring and the filter but it is probably missing. Not critical, get one from chacal and put it in next time.

DO NOT OVERTORQUE the plug or the housing. If you don't have a torque wrench, "snug" is fine.

OIL LEVEL: With the bike on the sidestand you should see NO OIL in the sight glass. Watch the glass and begin to stand the bike back up toward vertical and you should see the level begin to rise.
    Put the bike on the centerstand and check the level. It should be just ABOVE the "upper" marks (next to the sightglass) with just a bubble showing.
    The SLIGHT overfill is acceptable to keep from getting an occasional "low oil" light during hard acceleration.

Have fun; let us know if you need anything else. If you REALLY NEED pictures I can help but not immediately.

Fitz

DarbyC and Dre42 like this.
  5. TriHard

TriHard New Member

Hi BikeRanger

Welcome. As you can see there is no shortage of help available on this website but along with Japple999 I endorse getting yourself a manual. Unless you have a money tree growing in your backyard and can afford a mechanic a manual will prove invaluable for performing routine maintenance and more complicated tasks.
    And when the manual claps out in terms of detail, then you'll have no problem getting help from the fine members of this wonderful forum.

6. BikeRanger

BikeRanger Member

thanks guys. i knew the clutch was not a hydraulic clutch but i didnt know that it sits in the same oil as the engine does. news to me as far as the manual that link helps a great deal. the only question i have is the oil sight glass? where is that located?

7. cturek

cturek Member

It's on the lower side of the clutch assembly cover.Almost directly below the oil fill. It is a rectangular glass window. You can't miss it.

8. BikeRanger

BikeRanger Member

thanks i see the oil visual now. and as far as that washer goes i the bike still has that. the bike has been hardly used. but since it has been sitting there i feel that i should clean the oil pan and such. is there any fluid that you guys recommand for putting through the oil ways to flush out the bike?

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Umm.. Actually, on the 550's it's round. Just below the BIG round cover. Has two sets of horizontal lines next to it; "high" and "low" oil.

Torque on the 19mm drain bolt: 31 ft/lb.
    Torque on the 12mm filter bolt: 11 ft/lb.

You definitely need a book. The Clymer will get you by but find a factory book. Chacal has them or troll eBay, I got mine for $15 (sorry Len.)