1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My gauges arrived!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Deadulus, Mar 4, 2009.

  1. Deadulus

    Deadulus Member

    Messages:
    465
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Dufur, Oregon
    Ever since I trashed my tach when I dropped it, Ive been looking for replacement gauges.

    Was considering the ACEWELL route, or the little bitty 2.25 inch gauges from MikesXs...then was perusing Ebay and found brownmotorcycle in the stores.

    Got an '80 XS400 speedometer (it goes to 120!!) for $9.99 and a tach, lights and mounting whatsit from an '81 XS400 for $24.99. $12 shipping and VOILA' they show up today!!! Yay!! I can start designing my dash in earnest now!!

    Gotta run to RipShack and get my LED indicators!!! :p
     
  2. wamaxim

    wamaxim Active Member

    Messages:
    1,215
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Vancouver, USA
    47 bucks and you're in. Sometimes life just works out great and now the fun begins!

    Congrats!
     
  3. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    Alright! It's a wonderful thing... (the speedo is a straight bolt-up, the gearbox at the wheel is the exact same ratio for ALL these bikes.)

    I love mine already and I've only got 43 miles on it so far...

    [​IMG]
     
  4. crewwolfy

    crewwolfy Member

    Messages:
    262
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Whoa.. That's clean..
     
  5. Deadulus

    Deadulus Member

    Messages:
    465
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Dufur, Oregon
    My initial sketch for the dash kinda looks like...well...the Bat signal......hummm..... *crumple*

    I had to take the trip meter knob off of my old gauges and it screwed right into the new speedo....wish I could figure out how to take the faceplates off the new ones so I can clean the inside of the glass...yes it it real bonafidee glass on the new ones. But Im afraid Ill bollix these up...would be nice to zero the odometer out too....

    And Fitz, those gauges are a thing of beauty. I hope my dash comes out looking fairly competent.
     
  6. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    You CAN get those "canned" instruments apart but it takes a steady hand and either a modeler's razor saw or a fine cutoff wheel in a dremel.

    One of our members posted photos of how she accomplished it.

    You have to remove the inner plastic "can" and then carefully slice it open to get to the instrument "guts."

    Or, if you can find a friendly speedo shop in the area, confirm that they can "stomp" new rings on and then get medieval on them to take them apart. Once apart, they're pretty much all the same inside: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15303.html

    If you PM me I can explain how to change the odo reading but I was not going to post it I'm not sure how legal that would be. You do have to take the instrument apart of course, and it involves the judicious use of a dremel, but it can be done.
     
  7. sushi_biker

    sushi_biker Member

    Messages:
    576
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Maryland
    I also ordered a great set from Brown's but they haven't arrived yet. I'm getting concerned.
     
  8. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    Brown's can take a while I've bought stuff from them too... I don't think he necessarily ships "daily."
     

Share This Page