1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Lower bars for an 82 xj650

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by seamastertime, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only real issue I encountered was the clutch cable, there was no way to "tuck" it without it developing a nasty desire to get onto the exhaust pipes so replacement was necessary. Everything else rerouted nicely, I like the new throttle cable routing better than what Yamaha had.

2. ktcubed

ktcubed Member

I've been trying to figure out a way to see past myself in these mirrors. Will try to hunt down some longer stemed mirrors.

3. alaskazzr

alaskazzr Member

Yeah I agree with the new routing being better. I had removed the reflectors up by the head on the frame, and the lugs they were attached to made good tie downs for the new routing.

4. seamastertime

seamastertime New Member

I did some superbike bars off of ebay in 7/8. I instantly liked the bars. I have issues with the clutch cable being too long and possible some throttle cable issues, but those buckhorn bars suck really bad.

Now my problem is mirros. the mirror mount holes curve inward so the stock mirrors on the old buckhorn bars make it where all's you can see is your shoulders. So I'm searching for mirrors...

But the bars rock and I'll find the right mirrors. Don't think bar end mirrors will look good.

5. Tman_74

Tman_74 Member

Seamastertime, What bars did you get? Do you have any pics? I was also worried about the mirrors. The bars alaskazzr has, look awesome, they are 3" high and a 7"pull, and look good with the stock mirrors. I found a few pairs on ebay with the same measurements.

6. mykl8

mykl8 New Member

I got these bars with the bike and swapped them on right away.
    I am 6'2" and they are real comfortable, shorter people say that they have to reach a bit to grab them.

[​IMG]

7. macksimman

macksimman Member

I am just wondering what all of you are doing with all of these buckhorns that are being replaced. I would like to try them out on my 550 maxim

8. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Is it me or does it look funny when a rider is really reaching forward and low when riding? Kinda like a monkey humpin' a football. To each his own I guess. It just looks so uncomfortable to ride like that.

9. hellbilly

hellbilly Member

well that is why you have to lower the back end to match the drag bars or you might as well have a crotch rocket

10. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

I put MX bars on mine, had super Sports on before that. I love the MX bars thoug, posted pics of it in a thread about my bike in XJ mods. I'm sure you can find it if you search for posts I've started. I'm liking my barend mirrors too.

Your new ones look good!