1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil change -> leak

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kipper, Aug 3, 2006.

1. kipper

kipper New Member

I was facing 12 hours of riding over three days, so I decided to some simple maintenance. Bought some oil, a filter, and some Seafoam. Did an incomplete oil change (only pulled the sump and filter, not the hidden bolt), and put about a third can of Seafoam in a full tank.

On the third day of my back-and-forth saga, I noticed a small pool of oil under the front of the engine. It looks like I have a leak around the filter housing. I did not replace the o-ring. The bike has over 41k on it, 6 of them by me. I have no idea when the o-ring might have been changed, so I'm willing to do this. Also, since this was my first oil change, I'm planning on doing another shortly to make sure I haven't gunked up the inside. Could this leak be caused by anything other than the o-ring needing replacement?

On a positive note, performance has improved considerably. I haven't noticed a significant gas mileage improvement, but I do see quicker response when I twist the throttle.

I bought my filter at the local shop. It was a KNS that ran me $6 and change. I'm thinking about the Fram, which will cost about $3.50, for the next change. Any reason I should really stick with the KNS over the Fram? Also, I put in 10W30 since it's summer. I do ride the bike year-round, so I'm thinking I'll use 20W40 next time to get through winter.

Thoughts on my leak?

TIA!!!
    kip

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Unless you've impacted the engine on a rock, it is the o-ring, replace it. I tend to re-use it too but the manufacturer recommends replacement each and every time. The Fram kit includes the new o-rings and at 3.50 it is cheap insurance. CH6003 as I recall.

3. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I got 3 oil changes out of my o-ring... after 3 it dripped badly.

Almost certainly you have the same drip I had this spring.

4. richard03

richard03 Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't seen any 10W-30 oil for motorcycles. Maybe it is because I live in Texas and it is so hot here.

You are not using car oil, are you?

5. kipper

kipper New Member

I'm using a non-synth oil. Don't have the bottles left and can't recall what the SAE cert was, but I went looking for one without additives for autos. I'm considering going with mobile1 synth for the next change, tho'.

Kip

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Not sure what the issues are regarding additives (or multi-weight oils) on the motorcycles given the cluch/transmission. Normally though, you would use a heavier lubricant (20w40) at high temperatures and a lighter oil (10w30) for lower temperature service.

BTW, can anyone tell me what oil should I be using in my '82 xj650 maxin (when I get it)?

7. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Mobil makes some bike specific synth oils with no wet clutch problems. Good shear rating and even their V twin oil shoud work well in our engines.

8. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I like and use Castrol Syntec 0-50W it's good down to the coldest weather I'll run my bike in and up till it's to hot for it to be fun (-10 to 115)
    Yes there are 2 o-rings that you need to change, the one on the filter housing and the one on the bolt too.
    That should take care of your leak.

9. richard03

richard03 Member

I use 10W-40 Amsoil motorcycle oil in mine. They use a 10W base for their oil, so it takes away less horsepower from the motorcycle, and it is synthetic, so I don't worry about it not being a 20W base. Actually, this oil is better for starting too - lighter is better. Also, if you do a lot of research about the actual properties of oil, you will notice that not everyones 20W-50 or 10W-40 is the same! Amsoil makes a good product that seems to fit all of my criteria.