1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need handlebar Advice

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by imnotamonster, Mar 12, 2009.

1. imnotamonster

imnotamonster Member

Hello everyone.

I have looked and found very little on the pros or cons of using bicycle handlebars on an xj. Most are the right diameter but are they of the right gauge to be strong enough? They certainly are a whole lot less expensive. I found some mini ape hangers on amazon for around 12 bucks. Your advice would be very welcome

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

It is thinner metal, and has cheesy chrome, but will work.
    I think mountain bike bars would be a good choice, but for those apes, get the Gold Wing bars from a yard for about the same price- - see Painter's build for more info.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

BikeMaster aftermarket handlebars LIST for around $20 and usually go for less, as little as $15. They're REAL motorcycle handlebars; you know nice sturdy tubing. Widely available.

I would NOT use bicycle handlebars on a motorcycle you could end up getting hurt or worse.

4. imnotamonster

imnotamonster Member

Ok, thanks... that is good info. I can't control all the safety issues that come with riding but I can and will have a safe bike. I am still looking at my options for what I am going to do for my bars. I am not completely sold on ape bars yet. I have some risers that will bolt to my trees but they are for a 1" bar. Is there any way to use them with 7/8" bars?

Thanks

5. CdnXJRider

CdnXJRider New Member

imnotamonster, the handlebar part is the easy part. Don't forget that you will now require longer cables and hose for the increased height of your handlebar. I wanted to put apes on my ride as well but looking at the price of custom cables and hoses I quickly realized that what seemed a simple mod is actually costing more than expected. Still don't know if I will commit to apes or not.

If anybody out there has got good suggestions for custom cables and hose at affordable price let us know.

Good luck with your mod if you go forward with it.

6. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

I did the same math Cdn, but I managed to get the bars for $50 (shipping incl.) $45 for all the pieces to make my own custom cables and $39 for the custom SS brake hose.

Not cheap, but more cost effective than I thought it would be.

7. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Mosnster,
    I went that route myself and found the bicycle handlebars are strong enough for the swap, however the length where the grips go onto is too short for the grips and the controls to attach before the bend. So you may want to measure before going ahead with them.
    I finally found mini apes of off a Goldwing in a salvage yard. The rise is 10" and I have them mounted on 4" risers so they are even with my shoulders with my arms straight out which is so comfortable.
    Here's mine:

[​IMG]

8. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Painter, you have studs on those tires? That snow on the 10th of March makes Vancouver, WA rain feel pretty good!

9. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I think your right!!
    That photo was actually taken last February, but we still have a a foot of snow here yet from the last blast last week. The good news is it was +40 yesterday and looks like mid 40s for today, so the roads will be clear soon. I am itchin' to get'r back on the road this week.
    I'd like a nice hard rain to melt the remainder of the snow and clean off the roads, but I guess I'll take whatever we get.

10. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

I've got a set of perfect Goldwing bars for sale. They have weights slugged in the grip ends from the factory so they are heavy so shipping is a tad more than usual but let me know if ya want 'em. PM me.

11. imnotamonster

imnotamonster Member

12. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Your going to need risers that will bolt thru the top tree, which are fairly easy to find at any salvage yard or Ebay. Mine are made out of a pair of steel ones that were too short, so I wleded 4" of heavy steel tubing to the clamps and a nut inside the bottom of the tubing. That way they bolt thru the top tree with no problem.

13. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If I were you I would just find a set of 7/8" risers; they're commonly available.

You might want to go ahead and mount those bars first and see how they work as-is before adding risers. They look like they're gonna come UP quite a bit on their own.