1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 Yamaha xj700 Maxim Help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Doughboy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Doughboy

Doughboy New Member

Hi, I hope someone out there can help me with a few questions I have about my 1985 Yamaha xj700 Maxim I just purchased.

1) When you start up the bike it idles real high. There are two hoses coming from the carbs just hanging there. Does this sound right? Well actually one of the hoses has a bolt in it. Could anyone tell me what the problem might be and how to fix it?

2) Is there a repair manual for a 1985 Yamaha xj700 Maxim? I've looked and had no luck finding one.

Any help anyone might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Brian

2. stevo

stevo Member

3. XJ700VET

XJ700VET Member

The only book for the XJ 700 is the Yamaha service manual. Nobody else published one for that bike. I'm sure that you can get one from "chacal" our local parts guy. He can be found in Sell, Trade, Swap, Wanted area of the forum. He would also have just about any part that you would need for that bike. A good idea would also be to get a set of the XJCD's there is a ton of information there as well. Look up the XJCD on the forum, they're fairly inexpensive, I think that I paid like $10 for my set. As far as the hoses on the carbs, there should not be a bolt pluging it up, I think that what you are refering to are the drain hoses.

4. Tito

Tito Member

If choke is all the way left it will idle high till you move it slowly to the right the idle should lower. I'm thinking the 2 hoses you are talking about if they are coming from the carburetors may be overflow. Not sure without a pic.

5. faighaigh

faighaigh Member

There should be 4 hoses coming of the carbs and just tucked away, I think they are breathers but I don't know why one would have a bolt in it. Have you tried adjusting the tick over, there's a knurled knob at the centre back of the rack which will adjust the tick over but warm her up first.
    Not seen it mentioned recently but the XJ cd is far better than the manual, if you search around on this site you should find how to get hold of one. I have both but much prefer the cd.

Faighaigh.

6. kitt07

kitt07 New Member

I myself have a 1985 Yamaha xj700 Maxim. How do you reay know if its a Maxim X , an XJ700N or what. I am a new rider and this is my first bike.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Simple..... Maxim X is liquid cooled so it has a radiator and fan in front. If there's nothing like that at all, then its an XJ700 (airhead), not an XJ700X.

Welcome aboard!!!!!

dave

8. kitt07

kitt07 New Member

Dave Thanks so now i know its an xj700 maxim x, cause it does have a radiator in the front. is there a special spark plug wrench we need to use? the ones i have dont fit at all. I would like to give this bike a good tune up and oil change. Just learning all of this. Just bought the bike yesterday. It may need some carb work from sitting. I drianed the old gas and put some high octain gas with a little octain boost. seem to work it a little. Thanks Dave

9. pygmy_goat

pygmy_goat Member

Often when there is a bolt jammed in one of the hoses, it means something was coming out of that hose enough to bother the person who jammed the bolt in it. In other words, gas was probably overflowing from the overflow lines! I'm pretty sure those carbs have overflows.

That means something bad was happening and someone made it "go away." I had something similar on my bike when I got it. You need to go through the carbs, I would think. You won't get a decent idle until you do.

10. MaximumX

MaximumX Member

You'll find lots of good info here: http://maxim-x.com/

Including where you can find a sparkplug socket that will fit in that deep, narrow well. I also saw something at partsnmore.com that looks an awful lot like the original plug socket from the toolkit. Part no. 35-0078.

11. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

Sounds like you have some fun ahead of you with this bike. Put up some pics

12. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

an 18mm deep well craftsman 6-point 3/8" drive will fit. With an extension of course.
    Welcome aboard.

13. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

I just use the one in the tool kit works great

14. kitt07

kitt07 New Member

Hey Desinger_mike. Thanks for that info on the 18mm deep well craftman. I am so glad i found this forum. You guys hve been a lot of help in the few things i have asked. But here i go again, and it may be the last question. how do i check my oil level. I just ordered a repair manual on a cd for the XJ700X. I hope this would help. And when i recive it i am will to help other like you guys heled me. Thanks.

15. kitt07

kitt07 New Member

autosdafe, my bike didnt come with a tool kitt but its cool. as for fun YES i have been having fun since i got it. Cant wait till i get it right.

16. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

To check the oil on my bike You put it on the bike stand and run the engine for a sec. Then on the bottom of the clutch case is a clear window that will show the oil level. It may not be the same for yours.

17. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

Just checked some pics and it's the same on yours.

18. kitt07

kitt07 New Member

Hey everyone. I would like to know what some of you think about seafom. ive been getting mixed stories on it. I would like to know what you all think about it and what have you used it for. Like always thanks for all your help

19. pygmy_goat

pygmy_goat Member

I think seafoam is ok added to gas. I was debating putting it into my crankcase but I have decided against it because I am afraid some will remain in there even after I drain it, which would screw with the oil and I'm scared of reducing my lubrication effectiveness.

But let me just say what others will probably also say--seafoam is not at all even close to doing proper carb work. I think of it as a way to get water out of my gas tank and that kind of thing. It won't fix any problems in the long term.

20. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

Many say good for maintainance. Add to cranck case before oil change to clean it out.