1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. flash1259

flash1259 Member

Washed the bike , changed the oil , cleaned the engine with purple power and it did a great job, buffed the aluminum engine case sides Forks and wheels , removed windshield ( liked the idea but didn't like the way it chipped the paint on the tank when I park it back to nakked). Bought new choke cable. Cleaned the garage.

2. Tman_74

Tman_74 Member

I'm going home to a box of parts from Chacal, and changing the valve shims!! Then start working my carbs!! Thanks to Chacal for the super fast shipping and great pricing !!! Now all i need is more time to put it together!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. JoeFriday77

JoeFriday77 Member

Yesterday, I installed a new airfilter, rear tire, rear brakes for starters. For good measure, I changed the oil and shaft drive oil.

Then, I rode it. :)

4. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

baught a new battery 120.bucks for the r1
    and ebay aution for a 2001 r1 rim

5. stormothecentury

stormothecentury Member

Got 'er fired up and took the first ride of the spring. And damn, did it ever feel great!

6. StahlMaster

StahlMaster Active Member

I finished up installing the LED lights in the Vetter trunk I put on last fall. I put newer plug ends on the bike side and the trunk side.
    I opened up the mixture screws 1/8 turn.

D

7. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I finally managed to force myself to reinstall the carbs back onto the 750 that I had removed some months (!) ago. This after breaking them down and cleaning them again; the bike had become hard starting in the extreme. Put the charger on the battery and let it do its thing.

Today, I hooked the fuel and vacuum hoses back up, filled the bowls, and hit the starter button. After a few seconds of cranking, it lit up -- much more quickly than I had anticipated.

I promptly took it for a spin. Came back to the house, put more gas in the tank. Then I took it for a longer spin. :)

8. tennsouthernbelle

tennsouthernbelle Member

I came home from work... looked at my Seca in the garage... walked by to get the lawn mower out..then to get the battery charger... walked by it again to get a rake... then to get a shovel... then again to put it all back. By that time it was dark, and I wanted a shower.

9. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

belle, you had the want to's bad didn't you? I mowed my yard today as well. More like wild onions & puprle weeds.

10. etg29

etg29 Member

replaced my old throttle cable with a brand new motion pro cable soooo much better then rode her around town a little bit

11. JoeFriday77

JoeFriday77 Member

I cleaned and rebuilt the front calipers then bled the brakes.

And.... Then I had to ride to 'test' the brakes. :p

12. PGDBUD

PGDBUD Member

Replaced front pads after only 5K miles. Then rode it to work again!

13. tennsouthernbelle

tennsouthernbelle Member

Ohhhhh I soooooooo did. But my yard looked horrible. I didn't rake the leaves last fall because I was busy remodeling the basement. It looked like some red neck lived here instead of a southern belle. BUT today... if I can get out of this place fast enough, I'm on that bike.

14. Tman_74

Tman_74 Member

IT IS ALIVE!!!!! I put the carbs on last night, (recently rebuilt them and once i turned the gas on) hit the start button, and came ALIVE.. Man did it sound good!!!! Now i need to work on getting the carb-to-airbox boots on!!!

15. weoxstan

weoxstan Member

Not a lot, just got out the charger and charged up the battery. Spring is about here and I am getting the itch...

16. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Nothing today.

But did contemplate lookoing at the front caliper and master cylinder to see what I need to do to get the caliper to stop sticking tight. Been using only the rear brake for a while. Looking for some good black coated steel brake lines.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

17. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Midnite, check the pressure relief port inside the m/c reservoir and make sure it's not plugged:

http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=12529.html

Also, make sure that the caliper has not "seized" up on it's fork-mounting hardware....the caliper MUST be able to pivot freely abouts that mounting bolt and internal sleeve in order for it to remain in alignement.

I have the black stainless-sheathed exact-fit brake lines in stock for your bike!

18. flash1259

flash1259 Member

Installed a sissy bar today , man this was still in the factory box unopened. paid 20 dollars.

Attached Files:

19. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Thanks for the info chacal.

When my caliper sticks, I rap it once (but not hard) with a rubber mallet and it frees up until I use that brake again, then it sticks.

I took the caliper apart a while back and cleaned/freed it up. I put fresh fluid in it and I looked at the master cylinder port and pumped the brake and saw fluid going through it.

My bike is all original, and always garaged. The only corosion on it is on the master cylinder paint.

So, I was thinking my hoses were probably crapped up inside. I have another used set that look great, but figured they are probably deteriorated too.

P.m. me with info on the brake lines please. I assume it will be the one piece line that eliminates the connector block that joins the two original lines?

Thanks.

20. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Hey chacal.

OOPS!

I looked at the thread you provided.

I think I was looking at the wrong hole in the master cylinder (the bigger one in the photo in the thread) on my bike.

Let me look at mine again.