1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Headlight Always On? (XJ550)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by unreal41683, Mar 31, 2009.

1. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

Ok, I've read a ton of posts from people asking about headlight issues, and mine seems unique. That said, I'm sure someone will post a link to a previous thread solving this exact issue.

I've got a XJ550 Maxim that sat in a garage for about 7 years. It was given to me last year, but it didn't run anymore.

I've got it up and running but there are a few bugs in it. I didn't know that one of them was the headlight till I started reading these forums.

My headlight is always on when the key is in the ON position. It doesn't wait for me to start the engine or even to crank the engine. I put the key in and turn it to ON and the headlight starts shining away. Could this still be an issue with my headlight relay?

I pulled the kickstand relay Sunday, so there is no problem with me getting confused with that relay, and I'm pretty sure I know which relay it is. I've got the Yamaha manual and the Clymer manual, but I'm not sure if this could really be an issue with the relay, or if maybe the guy that had it before me, or the guy before him (I have no idea how many owners have had this bike) might have messed with the wiring in the bike... a lot scarier to think about...

2. bill

bill Active Member

Some models did not have the headlight relay but cut he light off when you pushed the starter button in to give more cranking power.

Fitz has several 550s he can give you a definitive answer in a bit...

3. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

on my 650 the headlight is always on as well, ive never noticed if it cuts out when cranking
    Shaun

4. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

You may have the headlight relay and the side stand relay mixed. The headlight relay is identified with yellow paint on it .This relay is located under the gas tank near the back bone of the frame. The side stand relay is identified with blue paint. This relay is located on right side of the frame under the seat.

5. bill

bill Active Member

Your head light should not come on until cranked - that one I am sure of :)

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

+1 Bill. The 550s headlight should not come on until the bike is running. Either you have relays mixed up or the headlight relay is "stuck." There are other more obscure possibilities but that's where I'd start.

Take a close look in your component location/cable routing diagrams in the factory book; the relays are in some pretty goofy seemingly unrelated locations on the Secas I doubt the Max is much different.

Also, the factory book has EXCELLENT fault-isolation flowcharts for troubleshooting the various electrical systems. Simply follow it step by step and it WILL lead you to your problem.

7. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

Trust me I removed the side stand relay. On my bike its a really different location. Side stand is behind the fuses under the seat and had some blue plastic on the relay. The headlight relay is under the tank.

However this is not a new occurrence. This always has been the case, and I have a feeling this is part of the reason that my bike is tough to start. Starts fine with a jump and a little starting fluid.

The side stand relay got kicked out of the bike after leaving me stranded on the side of the thruway for an hour and a half waiting for a tow truck Saturday night. Bike ran fine in Neutral, died as soon as you put it in gear. I take out the relay, and voila no more issue.

Now, back to the headlight. The headlight dims when starting the engine (doesn't turn off, just dims), so I doubt this is intended behavior.

8. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

@ bigfitz

I agree, the diagrams in the factory manual are very nice... unfortunately the table does not include Headlight is always on. It's just "headlight does not come on when engine is running" and "high beam and/or low beam do not light."

I kinda wish I hadn't left the factory manual in the Fedex package without looking at it before. Much better location diagrams than the Clymer, but less step by step help.

9. bigfitz52

I'll bet the relay is stuck internally. They do come apart you know, you can pop the cap off, clean and adjust contacts, etc. They're pretty HD (or primitive, depending on your viewpoint) and can be fixed.

Oh, and I have the Clymer book too, and sort of agree. It has OMISSIONS though, that the factory book make up for.

10. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Are 550's unique in this regard? I am certain when I turn my key to on, my Maxim-X headlight comes on and stays on through the engine crank and startup. I've never thought it should be any other way.

11. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

The only real reason that I have an issue with how it works is that it makes it difficult to start the bike after a few days of the battery being off the charger. The bike starts up fine at first, but after I run it for a couple days I can't start it without jumping it anymore. I'm guessing that the headlight is taking too much power from the electrical system.

12. bigfitz52

Not just 550s at least I THINK there are other models that work that way.

I have two nearly stock Seca 550s and they both work that way. The headlight doesn't come on until the bike is running; HOWEVER "the headlight will STAY on until the main switch is turned to "OFF" even if the engine stalls." (quoting the factory book.)

13. Artjim

Artjim Member

The head light on the Maxim X comes on when you turn the key on, but goes off when you press the start button and stays off until you release it.

14. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

I'll play with the relay when I get it back from the mechanic... Sometimes it's just better to let someone else do the heavy lifting.

15. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Just went out and checked my 82 550 Maxim and it does the same thing. Headlight turns on with key and dims on startup. Guess I' need to check that headlight relay. It's located just forward of the rear tank rubber mount.

16. fuferman

fuferman Member

my headlight on my 82 750 max comes on with the key and cuts out while cranking.

17. bill

bill Active Member

I would have to have the schematics for all of them to be sure but I know I helped a guy which his headlight was definitely wired to cut off with the starter button pressed. Radian model I believe.

Most of the others have a diode on the relay. A line is run off the generator. Once the engine turns enough to generate voltage it picks the relay. Once picked the diode is fed 12v from the ignition circuit latching the relay on. hence as Fitz said light stays on until you turn the key off - stalling or the kill switch maintains the headlight on.

I will bet a lot of bikes either have defective or wired around relays at their age.

But any 650 and 550 for sure should use the relay and only turn on at start up.

Artie - lets look at your schematic next time we get a chance and we can figure out the x at least.

18. Artie(RT)

Artie(RT) Member

Bill,

Yeah I actually have to give it a try (maybe tomorrow). I was fairly certain it stayed on but with some of the comments in this thread I'm having doubts about my memory. Regardless it sounds like the way they were originally intended to work is not always the way they work after 20+ years.

19. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

Ok, so could this be due to the diode going bad on the relay? It's not gonna matter, I ordered a Very Good Used headlight relay from Chacal today, so I'll replace it with that when I get it... I was just kinda curious. Don't know enough about electrical stuff to fix it myself anyway.

20. bigfitz52

The diode is actually part of the "diode pack" it performs as Bill described above. In the schematic it looks like it's right "on" or near the relay; it is but only electrically, physically it's like 2 feet away.