1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need some info for '83 Maxim 400 carbs

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Dirk_Squarejaw, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. Dirk_Squarejaw

    Dirk_Squarejaw New Member

    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    My girlfriend bought an '83 Maxim 400 (XS400K I believe) for $250 and its clean overall, but had sat for a few years and needed the carbs cleaned.

    I found a PDF manual online and downloaded it. However, it has some masochistic way to set the floats which includes mounting the carbs, filling them with gas, measuring the height of gas in a tube connected to the drain screw holes, find out their wrong, remove carbs, remove bowls, adjust tangs, and over and over until their right.

    Anyone have a "normal" float height measurment that I can set them to?

    How many turns out for the idle air screws?

    Bike is all stock.
     
  2. billxs400k

    billxs400k New Member

    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Location:
    Nova Scotia
  3. flash1259

    flash1259 Member

    Messages:
    661
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    W.R. Wisconsin
    I hope these will help as I have an 82 maxim .

    As for the idle air screws I thought they were sealed at the factory .
     

    Attached Files:

  4. ZaGhost

    ZaGhost Member

    Messages:
    960
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
    For carb tuning follow the guids for the XJ's just we only have 2 to deal with.. I have my mixture at 2 1/2 or 3 turns out, set justv a hair rich as per Ricks tuning suggestions... drops the engine braking down and add a nice low growl to the engine
     

Share This Page