1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. JoeFriday77

JoeFriday77 Member

I tweaked the idle yesterday and did another 20 mile check-out ride. Today, I think it ran the best it has run since I got it.

2. MNdave

MNdave New Member

Took the bike out for a 50 mile ride.Absolutly perfect out,so I took her to Stillwater and drove on some nice back country roads.Even wound her out on the staight away got her up to 105 :twisted:

3. PSteele

PSteele Member

Finding a replacement shield for my old Windjammer in my small town was a real mind-blower. Guy at the parts counter knew what it was even though it was probably older than him.

Put it on the fairing and found that the fit was just a bit odd, so I emailed Slip Streamer, the maker of shields for Vetter and got a quick response from "Bob". We emailed a few times and after some fiddling around, got it right. Hats off to Slip Streamer - great service and good advice.

The bonus is now I can ride into the sun without having to look around a shield made opaque by scratch-diffused light. Safety first!

4. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

Put my new valve shims in over the weekend and checked clearances, so took it our for a ride to warm it up for a carb synch today. After it was nice and warm, lifted the gas tank and hooked up my home-made synch tool, and then it started stalling. Gee, its like its starving for gas, why won't it run? uh, maybe its because when you unhook the vacuum line for the petcock, it stops the fuel flow, doofus! Set it on pri, synched and went for another ride. Still need to get a colortune, but its starting and running better than it was.

5. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Pulled the tank, side panels, and fenders, and removed most of the pieces from them (grommets, petcock, etc)... tomorrow they're going to the paint shop!

Guess I'll have to update my avatar. Next stop, Sunset Pearlescent Pearl (as seen on late model Mitsubishi Eclipses).

6. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Set up semi permanently in shed to work on till rideable again :(

7. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

popped a wheelie

8. switch263

switch263 Member

I did this too. Man those clutch plates grab hard since I shuffled em around.

9. stevetibb2000

stevetibb2000 Member

i just throttled up no pooping of the clutch and it was on the R1

but today a new front tire and fuel tank and master cylinder was bought
    fuel tank 19.99 eBay
    tire Michelin road polite 70.00 from cycle gear man i love having a friend work at a motorcycle place
    master cylinder 75.00 eBay

10. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Serviced my front brake components. Caliper had not been retracting all the way and hanging the brakes tight. :(

Installed new brakes lines, crush washers, rubber master cylinder brake line boot/cover, master cylinder diaphragm and cover screws. Thanks Chacal.

Cleaned out the master cylinder and took the caliper apart. Was surprised that it was amazingly clean inside. Used some brillo to slick up the surfaces a bit. Re-installed everything.

Now I can reign those ponies in! :lol:

I like to ride, but it is also so very nice to stop when you want/need to.

11. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Dropped off the tank, side covers, and fenders at the paint shop. Ordered a used rear fender so I could try to salvage the tail light gasket from it.

Now it's mostly waiting... paint guy may not get to my stuff 'til week after next. :-(

12. zigzagzack

zigzagzack Member

WHAT DID I DO!!!
    I CRACKED. Well actually in attempt to remove the carberator covers, i CRACKED the corner off a carb .. so now the search for new ones begin

13. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Zig I read that, no good man!

I tore my carbs out today, and only 'bad' thing so far is a slightly stripped, now STUCK jet!

14. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Hey Zig, I might be able to zag you a nice used carb body, drop me a note and let me know which one it is (#1 is far left, #4 is far right, #2 and #3 in-between).

Your carbs are the same BODIES as used on the 700-X models (the internal jetting is different, though, but you can rob all of those items off of your original carb).

15. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Pulled the fuel rail and intake manifold to take them back to the powdercoating place to be redone, as the powdercoat they applied the first time was pretty but was not fuel resistant.

[​IMG]

16. JoeFriday77

JoeFriday77 Member

Zig, you may be able to fix that with JB Weld if you decide not to replace the body.

For me today, I rode and got caught in a sprinkle that I hope did not turn into a rain. The main reason was the thought that entered my mind. Are my coils good? Lucky for me, no full on rain.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I got to try out the horns when some yahoo cut in front of me. They are 136db, so I think he heard me loud and clear. :) I refrained from using sign language to tell him he was #1.

17. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Sent the last couple of days fighting with the carbs and now battery...
    Got the carbs back on yesterday, but seemed the float levels were too low, fuel starvation... so reset the levels... put the carbs back on... no leaking.. all looked good, but the battery died trying to start .. recharged, but still not enough life... then I noticed me batt fluid levels were low..... so busy playing with the carbs... never checked that ....... soooooo batt's charging again now... here's hoping....

18. bumpinugs

bumpinugs New Member

Have yet to actually ride my Max... but I've put on new sprockets, chain, front and rear brakes, and am working on the fork seals now. I cant seem to get that allen bolt out of the bottom though, even with the reverse spark plug socket.

19. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Member

I took my fuel petcock apart....eww! I'm glad I had to do that anyway, after a PO rebuilt it with the vacuum line pointing the wrong direction, straight into the solid coolant line.

Now I get to clean all of the mess out and put it back together again with a new kit. I have a new fuel tank screen, too, but might leave it out.

Then comes the POR15 tank coating kit, finish cleaning the carbs & get them back together, and fire 'er up!

20. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Did nothing to my Midnight today.

But I did change the rear differential fluid in my Venture.

Heading to the mountains to lead a group of about 8 bikes tomorrow. The weather is looking so very fine!