1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Interest check

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by switch263, Apr 12, 2009.

1. switch263

switch263 Member

So here's the gig... Buddy and I have been doing a bit of general bike maintenance on the side, mainly for people in the area. We've branched out a bit, as necessitated by various projects we have going ourselves, and are now into sandblasting, and hopefully sometime in the very near future, powdercoating.

I just wanted to post up on here and see if anyone might be interested in our services... rates are basically directly dependent on the piece being blasted, and the basic gameplan right now as best we can tell, is that you would ship us your piece (if possible) and we would perform the work, return shipping would be included in our service price.

So far we have experience with soda blasting everything from the outside of a few sets of carbs and engines, to hard blasting the paint and rust off of a few gas tanks and even a frame.

Anyway, if anyone wants some more information, or even a quote, just send me a message or reply here and we will try our best to work with you on it.

To the mods, sorry if I put this in the wrong spot, but as it's mainly an interest check at this point, I just figured XJ Chat would get a lot more views than anywhere else. If I'm not supposed to post service offerings such as this here, or even on the boards at all, my apologies.

Edit: I should say, also, please post a reply if you'd like to see this service available, as we will be trying to make it as affordable as possible, and post up if you'd like anything else too, like we've been considering offering simple painting services on small parts as well.

2. eanf

eanf Member

Would you be interested in bead blasting the base pan of a John Deere 322? My grandpa just asked me today at Easter Lunch if I knew anyone that bead blasted because he has NO clue where to take it to get it done. I said I don't... but I do now! and we live up by South Bend, IN! Also how much to Powder Coat gloss black the Passenger peg mounts, rear fender (Chrome currently) and the backrest mount? I can personally bring them to you and pick them up as well.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if your going to do powdercoat you might wan't to try gunkote too
    https://www.kgcoatings.com/ setup is the same with blasting and ovens
    2 oz of paint would do all the covers on a XJ engine

4. skooterbum

skooterbum New Member

do you have an oven yet ?? if you are in the market for one, i have one for sale. if you want to talk about it send me an email at skid59@yahoo.com please put powder coat oven in subject line so i don't assume it's spam

5. switch263

switch263 Member

Thanks for the posts guys. Polock, scoping out that link and it looks pretty good, might have to see how good their product is. :) skooterbum, we don't have a specific oven yet, but we do have a couple of old house ovens laying around, and are trying to work up an enclosure to utilize them for parts. Has two benefits going that way, get rid of junk cluttering up our garages, and make a useful tool! I'll check with my friend tonight though and see what he has to say, might be shooting you an email.

Eanf, you'll have a pm shortly!

Any other questions/suggestions, I'd be glad to hear em!

6. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

There is a DIY powdercoating forum ran by a powder manufactuer. There are lots of plans for a DIY oven.

The two most common elements I saw were: 1. A double walled oven with insulation between them, with the inner walls connected to the outer walls only via the corners and door frame. 2. A PID controller to monitor the heat. Powder seems to have a few degree 'window' to cure properly.

7. skooterbum

skooterbum New Member

hey switch i sent you a pm