1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Won't get fooled again...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bigfitz52, Apr 13, 2009.

  1. bigfitz52

    bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Messages:
    21,283
    Likes Received:
    420
    Trophy Points:
    83
    Location:
    Rural SE Michigan 60 miles N of Motown
    right.
    OK, so I thought I had developed a base gasket leak (minor) on the '81 since I had started running it hard on the expressway. Little weep, coming from the RIGHT rear of the cylinder base at the crankcase. Wipe away, back after two-three days no biggie.

    WRONG.

    As in WRONG. WAY OFF. Not even CLOSE!
    So, getting ready to wake it up for spring. Pushed the project bike to the back of the garage, started working on the white bike. Shoved a couple of paper shop towels between the bottoms of the carbs and the heat shield (a Seca curse) and cracked the drain screws to let any settled FOD out of the carbs. Tightened the screws back up and...
    wait. WHAZZIS??? #2 is dripping gas. ??? No apparent issues last season... No gas in the oil, no driveability issues, wtf???
    Flashlight, begin poking about on the LEFT side below and in front of the carbs, what the? Yellowy gas/dirt residue on rear of engine block, and look-- it ran down the left side too but between the alternator and the crankcase where I didn't see it. SONOFABEATCH!

    Turns out #2 carb has a loose float bowl, I can JUST wiggle it. It's been peeing gas but only sometimes, and with a properly operating (almost, it is "lazy" sometimes) petcock I never noticed it, since I don't use "PRI" much. The leaked gas has been "cleaning" the back of the motor, dissolving any oil/dirt/residue which was then also dribbling down the RIGHT after migrating over along the base gasket joint, fooling the old guy.
    NO base gasket leak: #2 carb float bowl leak, on the other side of the bike.

    Lesson: ASSUME NOTHING. Look carefully but be aware that what you are looking for (and AT) may NOT be what you really are looking for (or AT.) Now I gotta yank the blasted rack, which is still easier than pulling the cylinders off. But it was running so sweetly last fall...
     
  2. mikeg

    mikeg Member

    Messages:
    328
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Milton, Vermont
    Ouch! Bummer. But that's a good tip for newbies like me.

    Hopefully you can have it back together before you miss too many riding days.

    mikeg
     
  3. DaveXJ

    DaveXJ Member

    Messages:
    191
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Southern MN
    Here's a tip for finding leaks like oil, tranny, and so on. Use a deodorant spray like arrid extra dry or similar. The white dry spray will show the trail of the leak so you can follow it to the source.
     
  4. bill

    bill Active Member

    Messages:
    2,813
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Fitz wow now I have to go check mine :D . Good thing you didn't go BOOM

    At least you tracked it down.

    Dave interesting tip - I'll have to remember that one.
     
  5. eanf

    eanf Member

    Messages:
    62
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Elkhart, IN
    and it'll smell good!
     
  6. midnightblu

    midnightblu Member

    Messages:
    338
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    LOL yea just make sure you dont use the stuff PH balanced for women :D ... you might end up attracting the wrong crowd... LOL

    you forgot the other good saying

    Admit nothing, deny everything and commence counter accusations.
     

Share This Page