1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

handlebar vibrations?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Desinger_Mike, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

My hands don't really appreciate the constant vibration from high-reving highway driving for extended time.
    I tried a different grip or two, and wasn't happy. The anti-vib grips were too fat to grab on to comfortably when I had on my winter gloves.

I know....my hands are too small :(

Someone mentioned the idea of filling the handlebars with silicone to help dampen the vibs.

Anyone tried this and does it help?
    I can't see where it would hurt so I'm ready to try it but figured I'd ask before I dump a tube into them. Getting the stuff out later wouldn't be easy!

2. Artjim

Artjim Member

This works

I have also heard of someone using expanding foam, but the Bar snake works great for me.

3. flash1259

flash1259 Member

have you checked your bearings in the steer head and front wheel?

could there be a problem with the tire? out of round, out of balance?

4. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I installed a cruz control (throttle lock) so I can get my hand off of the throttle on long trips. I just steer with one hand when safe to do so, and rest my hand for a bit. I think its just engine harmonics that at certain RPMS it just does it. I know the 650s are worse than some 750s at hwy speed.
    I was thinking maybe if I install some more of those rubber dampeners in the head cooling fins if that would help.

5. JoeFriday77

JoeFriday77 Member

Could you make your own 'bar snake' by taking a poly tube and filling with silicone?

6. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

As Mn-Maxims replied, get a cheap throttle lock and your problems are over. I've been using them on all my bikes for years now and it's one of the best ideas I've found. That way you don't need to keep your hand on the throttle as tight. It just makes fora more relaxed ride and when adjusted properly, you can still adjust the throttle when it's on.

7. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I think I'll try the throttle lock, but I'm also going to experiment with some homemade "bar snakes"

I'll post my results.

Thanks for the replies.

8. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

there are also bar weights that go in the end of the bars. I forget where I seen them but therer is a company that makes the weights and throttle locks that look nearly identical that go in the end of the bars and are suppose to reduce the vibrations. Mike also check your rubber motor mounts to the frame maybe they are worn abit after 25yrs of use. I have noticed on an hour and a half trip that I also noticed a little bit of vibration from my X as well. But it wasn't bad enough to make my hands feel strange.

9. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

There are bar weights under each grip (stock I think)

It could use a little carb tweaking, but it's not very far off.

The engine mounts are all good since I just swapped the engine about 4K miles ago.
    I'll double check and make sure they are tight tho...about 400 miles after the swap, I lost one of the nuts and the bolt was hangin out the side :(

The old hands just don't handle vibrations like they used to. Many years of chainsaws and equipment operation have taken their tole I'm afraid.

I bet 6th gear would help!!

10. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Yup a 6th would be nice for the long highway trips oh well heck for anything over 50mph fo rthat matter. There are?? I did see a set on ebay now that you mention it but they looked huge and I couldn't imagine where they'd go. Mike I also where a set of mechanic type gloves with all be it thin but it's there padding in the palms. THe kind that I use for th eimpact drivers at work. They work and fit so nice I bought a seperate set just for riding the bike.

11. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

hmm the fische online only shows the weight in one side guess I will ahve to pop the cap off and see if hte left side has one as well. If not then maybe the added wieght would help you. Or depending on the material maybe you can drill into them and insert a heavier metal to help dampen the vibes more. Of course I have no clue what this would do to your handling.

12. Thee_oddball

Thee_oddball Member

my old concours had a riser for the handlebars but it also had a 1/8 thick rubber...pad? between the bike and the riser which i understand took some of the "buzz" as the connies owners put it out of the bars.

S!