1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. mrkil

mrkil Member

took the tank in to get lined
    and put a bunch of parts up for sale the for sale section

2. Lisak

Lisak New Member

Nothing today, but I did go out and buy some rain gear and waterproof boots and a balaclava...tomorrow my baby gets 2 new Dunlop 404's installed, then her and I are gonna go for a ride :D

3. jasper

jasper New Member

Yesterday I "quickly" put it on the sidestand in neutral with the engine running on top of our gravel driveway while running to the mailbox..
    Today I'm removing the shards of my windscreen and replacing the turnindicators :oops:

4. Galamb

Galamb Member

Finally got my sissy bar and package tray on. Had to compromise, the 2 spacers I needed for the Sissy bar were no good. One was a replacement and it was rusty. So, went to my favorite CT store and bought two 7/16 sockets with nice chrome on them and they became my new chrome spacers. It will be nice and sunny here on the weekend, I'll be able to take my wife to test it out. :)

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Oil and Filter.

Un-boxed a new DieHard Battery, filled it, charged it and getting it ready for install.
    Sprayed the Battery Compartment with Adhesive and blew-in some Crushed Velvet ... Just for fun.

6. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

I may be heading for a new battery myself, can't get mine to hold a charge, will be taking it down to the shop for them to run a test, but the voltage is taking a significant drop after sitting for an hour.......

Then I can test to see if the carbs are happy and do the fresh oil & filter thing as well....

Then some cosmetics..... but first...need to get her running happy, and some weather to test it lol ( I hate below freezing temps in the morning)

7. Alec_Viper

Alec_Viper New Member

I'm almost done with the tear down. Got the carbs and swing arm off, now all that's left is to pull the motor. After that I'll be prepping the frame for paint. While the frame and tins are being painted I'm going to try something for my first time...clean my carbs. At least I know I have lots of folks to go to for help and guidance.

8. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Installed the newly painted front and rear fenders. (Paint guy was done with them ahead of schedule) :)

Cleaned a lot of the parts under the rear fender (tool box, tools, etc).

Swapped in the SuperBrightLEDs.com flasher in place of the <sarcasm>combination flasher unit / temp gauge unit from Rumble Concept </sarcasm> - the Rumble Concept one would flash about 10 times as fast when the bike was warm as when it was cold.

More or less rebuilt my gas cap and installed it on the newly painted tank.

Installed new aftermarket grips from Chacal.

Clear coated my injectors to protect them from gas.

... the bikes coming along... will soon be really done.

Now just waiting on:

1. the fuel rail and manifold to come back from take two at the powdercoaters.

2. motivation to do a few extra tweaks I want to get done before putting everything back together

3. a bit of time for 1 and 2

Cheers,
    Paul

9. JoeFriday77

JoeFriday77 Member

I recovered the seat using a kit from B&H Specialties. Never had done anything like that before, but it was a piece of cake.

If anyone is planning on doing some upholstery work, I highly recommend getting this staple gun. It would not have been quite so easy without it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200328526

10. xjgoldcoast

xjgoldcoast Member

installed a nice set of clubman bars for the cafe look i was after and some new grips... go you good thang!!!

11. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Well a bit behind but On Saturday, cleaned residue from my rubbing alcohol float test failure... ... don't use the cheap stuff folks...... removing the crap left behind in the carbs (enrichment ports and emulsion tubes most notably)
    Got her up and running again, still need a new battery, but... she's alive and working good otherwise....

NEED new grips....

12. extreme_op

extreme_op New Member

I Cruised along the beach it was suchg a great day out

13. carriong

carriong New Member

Hello All,

I have an 82 Maxim 550 and am looking to replace the clutch, im pretty handy when it comes to wrenching, but ive never replaced a motorcycle clutch before.
    Would i need any special tools, has anyone done one of these before and have any pointers for me???

Gerry~

14. Mikko

Mikko Member

Not exactly today but last couple of days I've adjusted valves (first time ever doing it myself), changed fusebox, engine oil, checked alternator brushes and some other things... Still have to change fork oils, brake fluids (maybe those lines too) and petcock gaskets. Then I think I'm done for a while 8)

15. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Today I got my bike registered again after 16 years off the road. Have done the whole carbs clean,seals,floats,synched thing its running perfect. Still a few bitsnpieces to do but overall I`m very pleased with the results of all my work and a huge thankyou to the people in these forums, the information available here has been/will be very very helpful!!!!!

16. a340driver

a340driver Member

Put my second XJ in the garage, it's pretty rough, I walked around it, spotted out the obvious ... envisioned, and felt a huge smile coming on ... here I go again!

17. Andreas

Andreas Member

Hello all!

After being away several months from the forum and my Seca, yesterday i went to my favourite Japan parts shop th do shopping and just did some work today:

- Installed the tank i repainted 1 month ago (at least i'm sure this time the paint is hard enough!)

- New brake pads

- A little service, Oil (20 w 50 mineral) and filter

- Removed the old back light (and 2 bolts over 4 snapped as torched gently the key) and installed this one (yes, i have to cut the back fender...)

[​IMG]

18. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Member

The other day I got the petcock back together, to find it happily leaking past the plunger o-ring. Fock! I file the vacuum-operated petcock in the file of "things that worked perfectly well and should have been left alone." I'll probably throw in an inline valve, I don't feel like putting forth any effort to fix it.

19. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Finished putting her back together after painting. The powdercoating place ended up painting, rather than powdercoating, my manifold and fuel rail to ensure fuel resistance. I also painted the injectors and clear coated them for fuel resistance.

Also added a second MAP sensor under the seat to provide continuous baro sensing (for better mixture control when I head up into the mountains) :)

[​IMG]

The color is Mitsubishi's Sunset Pearlescent Pearl. This second picture does it some justice, but I can't wait to see it in sunshine.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Paul

20. zigzagzack

zigzagzack Member

I finally got the bike running good enough till i get it tuned at the MCC the end of May.