1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

MAN!!! That fuse is HOT!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by proserviceguy, Aug 17, 2006.

1. proserviceguy

proserviceguy New Member

Why is the first fuse so damn hot:!: It seems to be the primary - controls the lights and instrument panel. I am going to change the whole box shortly, but like to know if any of you guys have experienced this phenom and what you did about it. Short of that... where do I start my detective work?

Thanks in advance (see how confident I am that I will get an answer :D )

2. proe1717

proe1717 New Member

I can't give you an answer to that question but I can second that thought because I had to replace a blown main fuse tonight and damn near burned my hand while doing it.

I'm working on replacing the fuse box this weekend. with a slightly more modern box, maybe using auto fuses.

3. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

I replaced mine with 4 'in line' fusable links. they use the flat blades which I like, and the entire cost was under $10 at autozone with extra fuses and an extra fusable link just in case.

very much better.

4. HooNz

HooNz Member

i can answer , its not the fuse thats hot its where the fuse plugs in and the resistance thats there which causes the heat but appears as the fuse is hot....

in other words a bad contact between fuse and the holder...ok.

5. Robert

Robert Active Member

The heat you are experiencing is the result of corrosion build up on the conductors. As resistance increases, current must increase to maintain function of the various parts of the bikes electrical system. Increased current through a resister or resistance will result in additional heat expended. Our electrical systems are notoriously prone to corrosion because of age and lousy engineering so get that fuse block replaced as soon as you can and be sure to seal all connections to prevent future occurances.

6. st301gpman

st301gpman New Member

I noticed that as well. However the problem turned out not to be with the main fuse but with the headlight fuse. It kept eating the little glass fuses then one day the tabs that hold the fuse on broke off.

I ended up just wiring that one fuse for the headlight to a 10 amp blade fuse. Headlights keep working and no more hot main fuse.

Everybodies issue might not be that simple but it was for me.

7. Robert

Robert Active Member

Your experience is common as well St301gpman, the fuse holders do give trouble as well (I'm sitting with two bikes in the same condition). I am hoping to do a complete box changeout before this year is out. I'll document it of course and post the results.