1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I got ripped off!!!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Deadulus, May 2, 2009.

1. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

Went to my storage today to do some work on my bike, when I pulled up it looked like i may had forgotten to lock up after I left last time....BIG ICY CHILL....but you could see where they tried to cut my lock...when that didnt work, they just cut the latch...go figger...its mild steel.

Got my tools and my friends 5000watt genny....but missed little things like my colortune and didnt take any of the bike parts.

Im more worried about my friend's genny...but he's like...eh....it didnt run til you fixed it anyway.

Im trying not to be angry right now.....

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Sorry to hear. I had the same chill up my spine about two months ago. I'm still dealing with the insurance co. Good Luck.

Check the pawn shops and file a police report,

3. tennsouthernbelle

tennsouthernbelle Member

OMG!

That sucks!

4. MN-Maxims

Does the storage place have a security video system. May be they have the jerks on video. If the cops can figure out who they were maybe you got a shot at getting your stuff back> Also it could be another tenent there check and see if any one else got hit too.

5. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

Unfortunately, the local Law Enforcement told me, we'll file a report but thats about all thats going to happen.

And I dont have insurance that covers this, and the lease for the place states the owner is not responsible for any theft.

The guy that had the genny is being really cool....told me not to worry about it. But I know he wants a bike, so am going to see what I can do to find him one...would be nice to find him an XJ for the same price I got mine....sigh.

6. bill

bill Active Member

Man not cool. Hope your insurance helps out and they catch the buggers. Some people are too lazy to work for their own stuff!

7. MN-Maxims

Home owners insurance covers tools you own where ever they are. Mine has a deductable and a limit. I would check with your insurance guy..

MN

8. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

I know this happened Saturday but, if you went to a local bar Saturday night I bet you would have found the culprit and your tools being sold for a ridiculious price.
    F'ing thieves. :evil:

9. Kendall

Kendall Member

Sorry to hear about you getting robbed. Do you have any clues yet?

I have seen a lot of people post on craig's list when something gets stolen to let people be on the lookout for the stolen goods. Some even list the police incident number & have them call the cops directly.

May not help but it can not hurt

10. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

OK....hows this for a WHO F**K'N CARES.....the police wont come look the place over, the indifferent *non nice name for female* on the phone did NOT record the incident or assign a case number.

The reason being, I cant prove that I REALLY had anything of value in the storage. So not only did I get ripped off....Im lying about it too. Oh...and I got pulled over this weekend and got a warning about speeding while passing!! Was told I was going too fast and that Im not supposed to exceed the speed limit when passing..... 8/

DEEP BREATH ....1, 2, 3.....

11. Kendall

Kendall Member

Do you happen to have any pics of your bike that may have some of the stuff you are "lying" about in the background?

I would keep going up the chain at the police station, they are supposed to work for you.

Eventually you will find someone who is an "elected" position & will care about votes that may be lost in a police do not care about you or your property scandal.

From a friend that is a cop, there are good cops & there are ones that just do not want to fill out the paperwork.

I believe that in my state the speed while passing can not legally go over the posted limit.

12. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

Im not impuning LEO's, just as in the case with anyone I run into that who seems indifferent to doing their job. It actually upsets me more than the actual robbery.

And I have things worked out with the friend who's generator I was using and I was planning on replacing my tools with better quality ones (just have to do it sooner now). Nothing was missing for my bike and surprisingly they left the Gunson Colortune just sitting on the one chair they didnt take.

13. hardlucktx

hardlucktx Member

I spent 11 years as a Police Officer and made it a point to catch thieves. I wrote maybe a hundred tickets in that time but made 95 felony arrests. I would call the Police again and ask to have the Patrol Sgt. or Lt. come by your house and explain to you why a report was not taken. It is up to the Investigator to determine if there is enough to warrant and Investigation not some dispatcher. If you dont get the info you want take it to the Mayor as he is the Police Chiefs boss.

14. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The SIGN may say that the Place isn't responsible, ... but the LAW does.

The Storage Place Owner is responsible under Common Law defining what is referred to as a: "Mutual Benefit Bailment" and Common Law defining responsibility of the Landlord in: "Lease"

Mutual Benefit Bailment: Delivery of personal property for safekeeping by another, with control and possession passing from the bailor (the owner) to the bailee. For example, property, goods, personal items or stock certificates, held in trust in a bank Safe Deposit Box . The bailee has no knowledge of the items delivered and no fiduciary relationship is created, as in a Trust agreement.

Lease: (Boilerplate Legal Wording):
    "CONDITION OF PREMISES. Tenant stipulates, represents and warrants that Tenant has examined the Premises, and that they are at the time of this Lease in good order, repair, and in a safe, clean and tenantable condition."

You've got him on SAFE!

15. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

Hey guys I really appreciate all the support and advice. Ive talked to a retired member of the county Police. Seems the reason I wasnt getting any help from them is that there was recently a 'redefinition' of city limits and the storage I was at is now within city limits, making the City Police the primary enforcement agency.

Now I know I can call it a wash. Besides Ive cleaned out the storage unit already. Have it all in my spare bedroom...will work out of there.

16. Alec_Viper

Alec_Viper New Member

I had an attempted theft situation this past weekend. In addition to my XJ I also have a Honda Metropolitan scooter (great for making the 1.5 mile trip to work everyday). I usually park it in the garage but haven't had much room in there since I tore my XJ down so I had it in the driveway. Went to jump on it Monday morning to head to work and much to my surprise noticed that my ignition switch had been all but destroyed my a screwdriver and someone that thought my scooter was more suited for them than for me. Found out after the fact that I need a cycle policy for the scooter so I have to pay the damages out of pocket. $200 bucks because of some jerk!