1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cheap net deals. Ultrasonic cleaner/Aero Kroil

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Icantinaturner, May 11, 2009.

1. Icantinaturner

Icantinaturner Member

This might be old news but I just stumbled on them:

- Harbor Freight Ultrasonic cleaner (4 carbs?), similar to one used by jamings67 (?) just dropped to $59.99 and looks irresistable...

- Aero Kroil offers a Google special offer here. Two kingsize cans for $12 delivered to your door. That's enough to last you a lifetime (or two old XJ bike restoration projects...) and you can finally chuck the old penetrating sprays that don't work.

2. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

I thought about the cleaner myself...

Just got my Google-special today actually, VERY happy!

3. Icantinaturner

Icantinaturner Member

Ordering the cleaner today. :D

I thought the Aero Kroil deal was a scam because the stuff works like a charm but tends to be a little pricey. I got no eMail acknowledgment after the order... Nope, it shows up in 3 days and it's two large cans. I'm also a happy camper.

4. jamings67

jamings67 Member

THAT'S JUST GREAT 59 BUCKS! I HATE PAYING TOP PRICE! LOL
    ONE CARB AT A TIME IN THE CLEANER!

5. Icantinaturner

Icantinaturner Member

That's usually how my luck runs and I'm cheap. :D

I do thank you for bringing these things to our attention and it looks like they definitely do work or a bunch of shops have thrown big money away.

I've been doing homework on the cleaning solutions ($45 a gal is too rich for my blood) and you might have nailed a good one with diluted Simple Green.

Apparently these things like alkaline cleaning solutions, so acidic solutions (lemon juice, etc) aren't the way to go with a US cleaner. I think I'll experiment with various mixes and an old carb before tossing a good one in the machine. :lol:

6. JoeFriday77

JoeFriday77 Member

Thanks for the heads-up on the cleaner. Found a $5/off coupon, so it was just $64 to the door.

7. Icantinaturner

Icantinaturner Member

JoeF, that sound you hear is me kicking myself in the a$$. :oops:

If my wife was home she would have told me to google "Harbor Freight coupon" and I would have found several discount coupons... It looks like a code of 282-321-655 might have worked for $5 off online, but I found others. On another site there is a printable 20% off coupon for in-store purchases...

With 7 carbs to clean, I just got too excited over the price drop and pulled the trigger without checking. Poop!

8. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

My Harbor Frieght Ultra sonic cleaner seems to work well. The carbs I put in were pretty clean but it managed to knock some stuff off of them. For 59.00 plus tax its worth it. I'm sure there are better ones out there but for the little bit I would use it seems OK.

MN

9. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Update on my cleaner,

I got into the shop and looked inside and the bottom is covered with stuff from those carb bodys. I soaked them in carb dip first and washed out and blew out with air and then the Simple Green and water 80/20 mix and I can't beleive how much more came out of these carbs. Maybe its the heater function in the cleaner or something.

MN

10. Icantinaturner

Icantinaturner Member

I think you guys are getting the temp and blend of cleaning solution correct if the carbs aren't trashed and are clean. Supposedly, really nasty varnish deposits should be cleaned first in carb cleaner (just as U did) or scraped out with something sharp/pointy.

I haven't even received the tracking number on my US from HF and feel like a kid waiting for Santa. I plan on picking up a pH test kit (pet store?) to check solutions for laughs. Might be overkill but aluminum likes a pH of 8 or less.

11. joshua

joshua Member

Well leave it to beaver to be johnny come lately. What is the aero kroil stuff for? penetrating lubrication? Guess i need to checkl out the local H?F for a cleaner may well be worth the trip. Lookin to get some really nasty crud off some carbs(all black and nasty form 12 years sittin) any GOOD QUALITY carb dip recommendations out there? thanks guys

12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

careful with the mix on simple green, it can turn the aluminum splotchy black
    i mixed it kind of strong :)

13. joshua

joshua Member

google methyleyne chloride. it is excellent in metal cleaning and dissolves at room temperatur(40C) in a non heated ultra it would be super just have to do it NOT INDOORS.