1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

MOTOBOY! Everyone knows the Germans make good stuff...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, May 7, 2009.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

As everyone who's ever seen a Sham-Wow ad will attest to...

So I solved my garage rolling platform dilemna with this amazing new toy I discovered. I just couldn't see spending the money on the Park-N-Move after I saw this one; the locking lever makes "deployment" a breeze.

Meet MotoBoy made in Germany by Weigl/Telefix.

[​IMG]

The lever extends a set of "feet" similar to the feet on the centerstand that lift the front set of wheels up a fraction of an inch to keep the platform from moving while you put the bike on it.

[​IMG]

Once the bike is in place the lever gets flipped back to retract the feet and the whole thing is VERY free rolling.

The only drawback is getting one. I really want another one but can't do it again without spending twice as much.

I ordered this one back in January when the Euro, GB Pound and US Dollar were all in the proper "alignment" exchange-wise for me to get a heck of a deal. Unable to find a US distributor with stock, I ordered it from a UK dealer listed on Telefix' website. It took until March to get it but it was worth the wait.

Somebody in the USA needs to start carrying these... Len?

2. Kendall

Kendall Member

Nice.

How much did that cost?

I would be interested in something like that.

3. bigfitz52

it was right at $200, shipped from England. I tried to get one from a US distributor but they either didn't want to be bothered ("we only carry the Telefix fork braces") or were going to charge me an arm and a leg both on markup and shipping. Like I said, I ordered this one back in January when the Euro, GB Pound and US Dollar were all in the proper "alignment" exchange-wise but it would cost substantially more than that right now.

I was looking at these: http://www.legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm but it would have cost me $215 shipped and the MotoBoy is a better product, IMHO.

I just wish I'd ordered two of them at the time.

4. Icantinaturner

Icantinaturner Member

Fitz, 'tis sweet but as handy as you are I'd bet you could make a similar device for about $50. Use 4' of this
    welded into an "H" shape and some of these. Cheap channel steel would probably work even better.

Open up or relieve the top of the center of the "H" for the center stand and a little at the end of each leg to mount casters with this .

:wink:

5. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

hehehe
    Fitz went that route already.
    Problem being that the castors that are big enough to hold the wieght sit up to high to make it practical.

6. bigfitz52

So, being the clever fellow that I am, I figured that since the 200lb casters were so tall but 5 of them worked great even with the heavier Norton on the platform... that 6 or 8 shorter 150lb ball casters would do the same.

FAIL.

The load isn't spread evenly enough. The lower-capacity ball casters on my "reduced height" stand ground themselves to death in short order.

MotoBoy rides about 3/8" off the floor, and it is NOT flexible. I think the welded-in gussets for the caster stanchions are the key. The LegalSpeeding product is simply two stampings bolted together so they're necessarily thicker. I like Weigl's use of the dual-caster wheels to keep the caster height down and their locking bar works quite well as it holds the platform still. Wheel-locked casters can still pivot so the P-n-M can't be as stable "locked" as the MotoBoy.

I want another one, dammit.

7. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

As always Fitz you have the coolest stuff. All aside from that can you let us know when they are a good deal again. I would like to get a couple for my shop.

MN

8. schmauster920

schmauster920 Member

How well does that stay in place in turns and on the freeway? :lol:

Personally if i want to turn the bike around, i lay it over on the kickstand and spin... probably wont be doing that in another 30 years but hey, its free for now.

Handy if you have a small garage or workshop that you cant afford to block anything.