1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbies first ride

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by jdrich48, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. jdrich48

    jdrich48 Member

    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Smithfield, North Carolina
    :D :eek: Took my first ride Friday, man it was great!
    First off it was 72deg. I took off work at noon, went to DMV and got my plates and registration, then it was off to take the test for my learners permit( good for 18 months here in North Carolina) only restriction is no riders. Once I sucsessfully complete the MSC I will be given my license.
    Or I can go take my test at dmv and have to put up with those yahoo's. I think I'll take the safety cource :lol:
    Then I got the bike and it was off to get my state inspection. Well In my excitement to get on the road I left my registration at the inspection station :oops:went back and picked it up next day. Then it was off to show the guys at work what I had been bragging about for months. By then it was getting close to sunset so I headed back home I wasn't up for riding after dark my first time out.
    Everything went event free, no one pulled out in front of me or did anything else stupid. I only went 40 miles, but it was a good little ride. Some in town and some highway. And the bike ran fairly well except for some carb issues (still waiting for the yics tool)
    I must have been somewhat nervous, because by the time I got home my hands were so sore From gripping the bars so tightly :D exspecially my right hand. Guess I'll have to build up the muscles in my wrists.

    I bought a Scorpion EXO-400 fullface helmet from my local dealer that has an "everclear" face shield that is not supposed to fog up. So far I've not been able to get it to fog, of course it was 70deg. too.
    I'll find out today it's only going to be 49deg.
    If I can find something warm enough to ride in.
    I sure need to invest in some riding gear if I'm going to ride in the cold, me and the cold don't get along well. All in all it was a good little ride. I finally see what I've been missing all these years, and look forward to enjoying many more on my new XJ. I also ordered a new windshield today maybe that will help in keeping me a little warmer too.
     
  2. BlueMaxim

    BlueMaxim Active Member

    Messages:
    1,986
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    Central Mississippi
    So good to hear another garage gnome receive his due reward! As far as no incidents during the ride ; just wait! Those idiot cagers are out there so remain vigilant! You will findout more about this during the MSC. Which I must commend you for taking. I haven't taken one but after talking to some riders who l have I now want to. Mind you I have been riding since I was 19, yet am convinced I could learn a great deal.
    Felt good to show off that XJ to the guys and gals at work didn't it! 8) Nothing like showing off what is now YOUR bike. YOURS, earned by sweat blood and tears! I was at an airshow this summer with my biker buddies and we had a lot of bikes show up from different clubs. A lady walked up to our colection of bikes and the only bike she photographed was MINE! Brand new Hogs, Vulcans & VStars and she picked my old XJ. I loved it!
     
  3. Jazzmoose

    Jazzmoose Member

    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Pineville, LA
    Rich, as a very new rider myself, I can surely relate to the "sore hands" bit! I'm only just getting to the point where my death grip is relaxing a bit! :D

    Let us know how that face shield works out, okay? That's one problem I'm having to deal with; I have to leave the face shield up when starting out, and rarely lower it completely due to fog up when I do. Maybe in summer...
     
  4. jdrich48

    jdrich48 Member

    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Smithfield, North Carolina
    Well I just took my second ride today. Temp 43deg.F winds gusting 25 to 30mph. Not good weather for a newbie, wind was blowing me every which way.
    I stayed fairly warm except for my chin and hands. I could deal with the chin but the cold hands gotta go.
    I'll definitily need a new pair of good gloves.
    The bike is running great even without all my carb settings not being complete yet. Think I still have a tire balance problem though, but thats already being discussed in another post.
    I imagine when i put the windshield on the wind problem will be magnified, act as a sail.
    The shield worked great, at one light I stopped at I did get some fogging but i had my sun glasses on , so I'm not sure which was fogging.
    In either case it fogged when I blew out and went clear when I breathed in. Never fogged at any other time.
    25 miles was all I could handle. :D
     
  5. TaZMaNiaK

    TaZMaNiaK Member

    Messages:
    140
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    NJ
    I can also relate to the sore hands syndrome! ;) I've been riding for years, and I still got it with my XJ -- until I replaced my grips. I'll have to see if I can find the number, but I was able to get a pair of foam grips with the chromed Yamaha-branded butt plates for I think it was $40 from the stealer. The are larger diameter than the stock rubber ones, so your hands are in a more comfortable position. The foam also cushions the engine/road vibrations a lot better than the rubber ones do so your hands dont go numb.
     
  6. jdrich48

    jdrich48 Member

    Messages:
    692
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Smithfield, North Carolina
    That would be great, if you find the # let me know.
    Anything to help.
     
  7. Joel07

    Joel07 Member

    Messages:
    484
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Durham, NC, USA
    Glad to hear you got it on the road!! I took the MSF course, and I would consider it a requirement for any rider. But then again, I have absolutely no experience with motorcycles at all, so it was probably more beneficial for me than for some others. I went in to the class a bit apprehensive, as I had never been on two wheels, and came out rearing to get my first bike and get on the road!!! :D
     

Share This Page