1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750RJ Seca Cafe Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by xulf13, Feb 12, 2009.

1. seca750

seca750 Member

WOW! Love It! Was it hard to hook up the gauges?

2. xulf13

xulf13 Member

SECA750: It was easier than I thought. But I read a lot on that wiring schematic on the Haynes manual. But I also got a lot of help from Robert (the moderator) on this board. A lot of the guys here step up to give you a a hand when needed. They're a great bunch of guys. The tach was the easiest. The thing is keeping your rear lights and brake lights working after the gauge swap, and figuring out how to wire up for the headlight. But like I said, it was easy with help and a voltmeter too. if you decide to do the swap I'll be glad to walk you thru it.

3. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Very nice xulf13, modified not mutilated.

4. luxio

luxio Member

...now you have to trimm the front fender and change the tank.

5. xulf13

xulf13 Member

My 650 seca tank is on the way, And I was already thinking on shortening the front fender. One step at a time, or I'll trip all over myself. I have 4 projects going on at once.

6. xulf13

xulf13 Member

This is my bike as of today.
    I installled my 4 to 1 supertrapp exhaust. I get a much better response, seems more torquey. I also shortened the front fender about 1 1/2" in the front and back for a total of 3"

I modded the stock 750 Seca tank and painted it, I also added the stripes today. Still need another 16 to 18" more to do the front fender. I have a whole other tank and front fender that I will eventually do a lot nicer, I'm thinking silver.

I think this passes as a semi road worthy bike to ride around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy with it and I'm liking it. Thanks to all who've helped me thru the process and who encouraged me. (pretty much everyone who's replied or comented on this thread)

7. Awalker19

Awalker19 Member

That looks awsome. Most of the time I dont like the cafe look but this is nice.

8. P2Fabrication

P2Fabrication Member

i love this thing im not that much of a cafe fan but you built this one just right very nice

where did you get exuast?

9. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Thanks for the coments guys. The exhaust is a supertrapp. I'm not sure if they make it anymore or just the muffler itself, whether it was just added to a 4 to1 header or what. I had the whole thing laying around in my shed along with my spare parts bike (another 750 seca), I just sanded it down, and gave it a fresh coat of high temp exhaust paint and slapped it on. :)

10. fatman123

fatman123 Member

the bike looks great. i also have a 81 750seca but can't find a rear cafe seat that will slide in, yours is awsome looking were did you get it, make it? i am dying to put different gauges on, found the one's i like but realy skeptical about tackeling that big square computer and the mess of wire in the headlight bucket. if you have any advice on that i would love a pm. i bought clubman bars but did not fit, not wide enough have to look for a diffent pair. once again love the look exactly what i am trying to line up the parts for a winter project.

11. fatman123

fatman123 Member

looks good, like the drag bars. had a hard time finding replacemnt front forks for my 81 750 seca should have just used another bikes since i going to cafe it this winter any way. post new pic if you have lowered the font end and what you used. how hard was it to put in the round front light? iwant to get rid of the square gauges too.

12. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Fatman123: I got my cafe seat from carpy at cb750cafe.com
    Those can also be found on ebay for around $150 or so plus shipping. just go to ebay and type cafe seat. You just gotta search harder. That's what i did. they don't make things for OUR secas. you're going to have to find something that works. measure your frame width and ask the seller for his measurements, etc.... Trust me I know it's hard and even costly. It took me a few months to gather the parts I wanted but in the end it pays off.

Even what I have did not just slide on. You gotta figure out how you will mount the seat and make it stay in place etc...

Also, if I can tackle removing the square computer gauge box, then so can you. Just read the schematic on the manual a few times while you use the restroom, (might as well load your brain with good info while you unload LOL) it might take a few days, prepare your self and make sure you don't do a hack job with your wiring. I used solder for every single wire, and shrink tubing. So if you look behind my headlight everything looks proffesional.

Just go for it. I cannot start writing a detailed how to because I really don't rememeber everything I did , but it was simpler than I thought it would be. your main concern will be getting the headlights and tail lights and brake lights running. There will be some rewiring needed in that area but it's all done withing the bucket. About the bucket swap. Get the parts you need, Brackets you want, headlamp and bucket you want and swap buckets it's really simple. you will need to find another location for your horns though, or get different ones. I modified my stock horn brackets and mounted them on my frame in front of the tank and exhaust pipes.

My clubman's fit just fine even on the stock risers. I just removed my maxim risers and mounted them on my stock risers. I got my clubman's on ebay. there are two or three types available. I got these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0395674711

Again, write down the measurements.

If you want to lower a seca 750 You will have to losen the triple tree and slide the forks down, remove the air filler sleeves and ring, then push up the forks all the way through until it clears the little holes on the sides where the sleeves go over. To be able to do that you will need a set of risers that place your handlebars back an inch so your bars will clear the forks. That's why I used the maxim risers. the problem is that every once in a while I would hit a big pot or hole and my forks would dive too much and my fender would slightly bottom out against the horns and the bracket that holds the wire harness that goes onto the headlight bucket. it wasn't too bad but bad enough to scratch my paint.

I liked it better and it handled fine without issues because the drop was not drastic. I heard you can solve the problem by making your forks stiffer by adding heavier weight oil in the forks. I might try that someday, but for now, I'm happy with the way the bike looks feels and performs. plus the clubman's look better without the risers.

I hope this helps you a bit. I got some tips from many on here, but in the end, You're the one that's gotta make it happen and figure it out. Post some pics of your ride and start a project thread. Cheers! :)

13. Ternk

Ternk Member

Beautiful bike, man. nice work

14. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Thanks for the compliment. Beautiful AKIRA avatar. Man I love that bike. :D

15. fatman123

fatman123 Member

thanks for the info. i have been looking at carpy,s stuff.
    wachted a few of his video's , love what he's doing.
    I will get in touch with him about the seat. as for the wireing thanks for the info, will be my winter project.
    very new to the bike seen but fell instanly inlove with cafe syle cant wait to get started. hope it comes out as nice as yours.

16. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I'm sure if you take you're time it will come out even nicer. There is nothing to it really. But doing your own work makes you appreciate your bike better and makes you care for it more IMO. Hope it turns out well and keep us posted with a thread of your build.

17. bossnoss77

bossnoss77 Member

COOL BIKE!! VERY COOL. I LOVE THE SLAMMER CAFE. THANKS FOR THE PICS THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT

18. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Here are the most recent photos I have of the bike. I just got a rear dunlop 404 tire mounted. made my diamond plate aluminum panel.

It came out good, but wasn't sure if I liked it so I made plain aluminum panels as well. Unfortually I only have one photo with the diamond plate panel.

This one:
    [​IMG]

These are the other ones I made out of aluminum sheet. I am thinking on painting them black as well pretty soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is also my new tank decals I had a buddy of mine make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone needs decals, let me know, this guy can make anything, even custom stuff.

19. schooter

schooter Active Member

very nice, i like!

20. oneuglybike

oneuglybike Member

Man that thing turned out beautiful. Does anyone want to trade a Seca for a cruddy maxim?