1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

STUPID QUESTION! Need Help

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by rightwinger, May 31, 2009.

1. rightwinger

rightwinger New Member

This may sound stupid, but I went to change my oil filter... and I cannot open the plug. I've tried a large pipe wrench, chisel and hammer and some hardended reverse sockets that bite into the head the harder you turn. Nothing. Stuck.

is it left hand threaded?

I don't know how old this filter is, or when the last time it was changed. Bt I can't get that thing out.

Help!!!

2. rightwinger

rightwinger New Member

Sorry, that is on an 82 Seca 750

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

If it has been over tightened it will be a bitch to get off. Don't shoot the messenger, but you will probably rip the head off the bolt before it loosens. As the bolt is now goosed, use a small cold chisel & hammer on what looks like a washer, but it is part of the bolt. It is not left hand thread.

4. rightwinger

rightwinger New Member

Thanks, that is what I was afraid of though.

5. nsosh5

nsosh5 Member

I had to do mine. It wasn't too bad. I used a grinder though. When you buy another bolt buy aftermarket. It has a bigger head on it. Mine measures to a 17mm and I haven't had any problems since. Good luck!!!

6. rightwinger

rightwinger New Member

You used a grinder to make notches for a cold chisel to grab it...? Good Idea. new bolt.. Better idea.

Thanks

7. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Might try giving a pipe wrench a try. It will progressively tighten the harder you push down on the handle. Worst case? You turn the head of the bolt off and now it's easy to get to the shaft of the bolt. Chacal has new ones.

Loren

8. bill

bill Active Member

I used the rounded head sockets and an impact wrench - your millage may vary. :)

9. Libertas

Libertas New Member

I rounded off mine too, what I did was take a smaller socket and taped it on to the bolt with a sledge, then removed with a ratchet.

10. TECHLINETOM

TECHLINETOM Member

I beat a socket on mine too but then I took it apart and welded a 17mm nut onto it!

Comes off easy now!

11. 83xjturbo

83xjturbo New Member

i too have had the pleasure of fighting the oil filter bolt. apparently the extra heat produced by a turbo doesnt help with unseizing bolts. :D

my solution was to use a die grinder to create two large flat spots on the head of the bolt which can then be grabbed firmly with an adjustable wrench. i purchased a new one from bike bandit for around 50 bucks, however, yours may be cheaper. my bike is a seca turbo so it has the check valve in the bolt to keep oil from draining into the turbo after shutoff. i dont think the n/a bikes have anything but a bolt, so it should be a little cheaper.

12. rightwinger

rightwinger New Member

Good idea. I will try that.

The thing is on so tight, I was afraid that it might be left handed threds and I was just making it even tighter.

13. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

14. 83xjturbo

83xjturbo New Member

nope, not left handed, just very tight. another problem you may run into once you ahve it removed is the bolt being stuck to the oil filter housing. i had to put my oil filter housing in a vice and beat the bolt out. I dont know if it was stuck on the o-ring or the housing itself, but my guess is the previous owner installed it with the o-ring dry and the oring seized. make sure you lube the orings prior to install or you may find yourself using a hammer as i did.