1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

would like louder pipes, got another ?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pictishusa, Jun 9, 2009.

1. pictishusa

pictishusa Member

is there anything short i of getting new pipes i can do with the stock pipes and mufflers to make them a little louder, maybe a stupid question but id like to herd a little anyway

2. rexeven

rexeven New Member

When I had my stock mufflers I took an angle grinder and cut the inside of the muffler out. Basically just connect the four holes with the grinder then pull out that whole inside piece. Sounded much better. Or chop the mufflers off and weld in straight pipe. Thats what I'm running now with no negatives in performance as far as I can tell. Just make sure you support the pipes to the frame.

3. Stamplicker

Stamplicker Member

I liked the idea of someone that put the S10 pipes on. Was hoping to have some better shots of how they connected. That sounds SweeeT!

Hate being so Freak'n quiet, I like people to know I'm coming up, or I'm around them... Open Your freak'n EYES! Plus I have a lovely neighbour that needs to hear the bike as much as possible between our houses =)

Ahh Here it is... XJ_Crazy's bike
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCjJodyYZdo

4. pictishusa

pictishusa Member

what if i chop them right behind the rear bracket ,would it make any difference ?

5. rexeven

rexeven New Member

I guess you could do that. You mean cut the mufflers in half basically? It might look funny..

6. schmauster920

schmauster920 Member

[​IMG]

free and easy.... plus you can make it louder if you want.. You could possibly drill straight down into the muffler and hollow it out more as well

Screams at higher rpm with the pods

7. rexeven

rexeven New Member

On mine I originally just connected those three outer holes and the whole piece slides out. The guts of the muffler basically. Not too loud but sounded nice.

8. schmauster920

schmauster920 Member

Ive heard you can pry the sides open and slide the baffles out, if you want to possibly leave it looking stock

If you want to just chop the pipes off, slashcut would be one of the only ways to make it look decent. Ive seen people do what you are talking about.

Hope you dont mind carb tweaking if you change the exhaust. My pods and muffler holes have put me at the very end of adjustment for the 40 pilots... I would imagine a straight exhaust would require bigger pilots and possibly a little bigger main jetting

9. rexeven

rexeven New Member

My bike runs better than it ever has with the straight pipes welded where the mufflers were. No re-jetting at all. Then again who's to say it was correct in the first place? I've only cleaned the carbs.

10. schmauster920

schmauster920 Member

on the main jets i believe it... im sure theyre jetted a little overly rich from the factory so it could be perfect now. I know mine would surge after the mods since it was on the edge of being too lean.

With the exhaust im sure you arent insanely lean, just keep an eye on the spark plug color, considering motors will make the most power being overly lean, then melt a piston or detonate.

11. ktcubed

ktcubed Member

Came from the factory lean (to meat air quality requirements). According to the formula, straight pipes alone result in zero changes to the jets. Adding pods however, frees up the air flow significantly and does cause a change, changing both (like drilling holes) makes an even bigger change.

Find out before permanently doing damage by removing the pipe aft of the collector box. Just leave them off and check out how it runs. A little more pipe on there for looks won't make a hill of beans difference.

12. Robert

Robert Active Member

Schmauster, you must have added more holes since this photo. I saw way more holes when you rode over Sunday.
    Pictishusa, I'd do my darnedest to talk someone out of punching out stock, they are getting too scarce. I just picked up a set of Sportster silencers the other day from a guy on craigslist (my thanks to whoever it was that posted that on the forum) for $15 so you might be in luck if you can spend a little time looking around. Good luck!

13. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Stamp - any more detail on that bike you posted?

Think it would sound the same with 2 pipes instead of 4? I am thinking of leaving the collector to keep stock jetting - and swapping mufflers for those exhaust tips you can buy @ autozone.

14. schmauster920

schmauster920 Member

Robert,

Too many exhaust fumes im guessing.. this is just how it was when you saw it :p

I would have to agree with Robert.. I did this when i first got the bike and didnt know how much a good exhaust system can sell for. If you want to go straight pipes then just drop off the back half of the system and save it for if you have to repass inspection because of a noise ticket.

You could probably get some rusted up ones if you plan on cutting the baffles out completely.

Technically the holes are reversible with a welder and some grinding but im sure it wont ever be the same.

15. pictishusa

pictishusa Member

ok, so sorry robert, i drilled it out then just cut a big circle in it, it's louder but not quite what im looking for yet, think i might do the slah cut right in front of the rear bracket, now whear is that damn cutting wheel?

16. schmauster920

schmauster920 Member

8O youre gonna get me in trouble haha

Just take your slip-ons... off... and then you will have plenty of sound and some mufflers to save.

If you are set on chopping them up.. Open up the back and slide the baffles out.. It will be plenty loud coming out of the megaphones without any baffling. Your neighbor will definately hear you

17. dpawl31

dpawl31 Member

Anybody here with two 'muffler tips' from a car store after the collector?

I really want to know what that would sound like.

What does it sound like with just the two collectors?

18. schmauster920

schmauster920 Member

I bet it would sound like the S-10 turndowns

I would just get 4 mini turn downs, that will sound like a top fuel car and should flow better than the stock collector box.. Youtube has a few videos of this i know

a 4 into 1 with a long 3 inch collector and no muffler would probably be the best for power, but i bet the individual pipes would sound really mean in person.

19. Stamplicker

Stamplicker Member

Dpawl- Sent xj_crazy a PM, hopfeully get some more pics and more specs. As far as I can see from the other thread, he's got the headers running down and then 4-9"? extensions, then the S10 turndowns attached to those. Now he's also running pods, so he's been through a rejet hassle.

I'm curios myself if after the collector, you were to run either 2 turndown pipes? (possibly the copper fittings that rdbhere2 used here http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... rt=15.html ) attach the single inlet to the collector and then 4 turndowns from that. Save on the rejet but give that more deeper/louder thump or as mentioned the top fuel car tone.

Thinking that might be the way to go.. and then maybe run support hanger from the frame to the turndowns to save on header damage. Not sure if the collector is mounted or free floating under the bike, haven't seen under the bike yet.

20. schmauster920

schmauster920 Member

Hands down, the least restriction will sound the meanest, less things for sound to bounce off of on its way out, no restriction is why the exhaust on the top fuel cars sound so mean... plus the thousands of horsepower helps a little.

Get 2 inch pipes coming out of the head and it would be scary im sure