1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dean's XJ650 Cafe Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ddibling, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Kev6

Kev6 New Member

Ah, sounds interesting! Would love to see how it turns out & fits - Hopefully you'll get it soon, it's been a long wait!!

You know, I would pop in :) but I don't live that close.. would like to see some of their tanks in the flesh mind you.. they're quite a price.

2. xulf13

xulf13 Member

dean, that is gonna be one sweet bike when you finish it! Do you have more photos of the seat? Did you figure out how to mount it etc, any tips that you could share? I am looking into a similar seat and just wanted some visualization to inspire me and make things easier for when I order mine.

3. ddibling

ddibling Member

Thanks, xulf13! I haven't mounted the seat yet. I'm waiting on the tank so I can visually line them up...I want the bike to look "straight." That's one of my few complaints about the xj...it looks "bent"! Anyway, I'll put some new pics up soon.

Thanks,
    Dean

4. xulf13

xulf13 Member

OK, maybe I'm inpatient, but I want to see more.
    Two question regarding your new gauges.

on the speedometer, did or does the stock cable fit and screw into the back just fine?

On the tachometer, What did you hook your two wires up to? and do the gauges have night lights in them? meaning a bulb in the back?

I am about to order my seat and I am in need of some smaller or round gauges, but like KAOS had mentioned, my stock tach also works off of 3 wires instead of two. But I know it is not about what my stock tach works off of but what the new tach will need. Unless the only way to get a signal onto the tach is via three wires, which I doubt, I just think my stock tach needs three.

Anyhow, more pics would be nice so we can all drool.

I was looking for the manx style tank that you will have on your bike and all I can say is that it is going to be one sweet bike when finished, wait I already said that. Well, x2 is never too much :)

5. xulf13

xulf13 Member

What a dope I am. I just realized you have an 81, meaning, your tach is cable driven, therefore the need for only two wires for lights only.

I think I am gonna get the electronic tach (03-675) from mikesxs but it will be a bit smaller than the speedo and only comes in black. :(

6. Ease

Ease Member

Coming along great man.

7. ddibling

ddibling Member

Thanks, Ease! I take that as high praise coming from you. Looking at your bike was a big inspiration to me.

Dean

8. DatzBull

DatzBull New Member

Did you ever find some way to get those caps tidy? I found this (copier) toner cleaner that killed the rust and then I polished them up with a metal polishing kit. They look waaaay better now. You have me inspired to go all the way with mine. I love the cafe look but wasn't sure if how to convert the seat on my Maxim. And the tank idea was genius. I bought an XS400 tank only to find out it wouldn't drop down fully on the frame. You have to finish this project. Good luck on your doctorate.

http://www.enkaypolishing.com/aluminumm ... ngkit.aspx

9. ddibling

ddibling Member

Ok, I finally got some stuff done today. Minor stuff, really, but something is better than nothing, right?

[​IMG]

This is my solution to moving the electronics out of the way. I need to find some black cable ties...the white one's look a little out of place against the frame.

[​IMG]

Got the exhaust can and brake pedal back on.

[​IMG]

Got the seat painted and have the seat pan and upholstery ready to put on.

[​IMG]

Got a question for the group. Can I remove this bracket (see the yellow arrow) without causing problems? I need to mount my gel battery under the seat and this bracket is in the way. I want to remove it and then put a sheet metal shelf to mount the battery on. Any comments/ideas?

Thanks!
    Dean

10. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Hey Dean. You can cut that out without anyt problems. I did on mine and others who have bobbed their bikes do as well. It wont husrt the structure of the frame since it's behind the shocks anyways. Your bike is looking good by the way. Keep up the good work. :) Any news on that tank?

11. ddibling

ddibling Member

Xulf13,

Man, every time I call him he says "check back in two weeks!" Which is funny...... I haven't been looking at the phone bill but my wife gives me "the look" every time I say I'm about call him again! Anyway, last time I called him he said he had actually finished the pan to the tank and to... guess what? "check back in two weeks!" So that's progress anyway. It's only been 12 months so I guess I shouldn't be too anxious, right? :lol:

Thanks for the tip about the bracket. Hopefully this project will move along much quicker now.

Dean

12. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Dean,
    Please tell me you did not pay them up front. I have had bad experiences when I pay upfront. I once had a body guy restore my Monte carlo...well...3 years later, the car only had primer and all the money was spent and the rest is history. I do hope you get your tank and don't go thru what I went thru.

Hence the reason I learned to wrench on my own and do the work whenever I can. Of course building a manx tank is more complex. I just can't wait to see it.

13. ddibling

ddibling Member

Xulf13,
    No worries, I haven't paid them yet. In fact, I was actually kind of impressed because last fall I did something sort of stupid, I offered to pay for it. He refused to take any money though. He said he wouldn't do that until that was done and I had seen it and was satisfied with it. So that's cool. It's just taking forever! It's killing me!!

Dean

14. ddibling

ddibling Member

Ok, today's update. I've been working on upholstering the seat. I've never done that before and I'm not sure I like the way it's coming out, but we'll see how it looks when I get done.

First, the bolts get epoxied down on the seat pan.

[​IMG]

Then the foam was glued on and the cover is getting glued on top.

[​IMG]

Finally got my new rear rim put on. This turned out to be a challenge. First of all, I got the rims from a 1986 Yamaha Virago XV700SS. After I tried to install the rear, I realized that the brake shoe plate is specific to the Virago, so I had to order that, as well as the brake shoes, springs, and actuating post. That went on ok, but the assembled rim would not fit in the swingarm like the original rim. I ended up having to take the axle gear case off the back of the drive shaft, put the assembled wheel onto the gear spindle, then put the gear case back on the shaft. Then I figured out that the axle is model specific, too, so I had to get that part! In the end, though, it's all together and looks awesome! The tire is a 15" instead of the original 16" so I'm wondering how that will affect performance. I'm guessing that the acceleration will improve but my top speed and gas mileage will go down. I also pulled the muffler back off and spray painted the mounting bracket and bolts black. Much nicer, I think.

[​IMG]

So there it is. Inching towards completion.

Dean

15. Cooter

Cooter Member

The outside diameter of the tire will determine the effect on your mileage, top speed and acceleration, not the wheel size. Actually, it will be the rolling difference of a full revolution of the tire when loaded, but the percentage change in outside diameter will be close enough.

Bike is coming along nice, and those tanks are incredible! Really want to see it when you finally get it- those things are works of art! I see the site says they need to have the bike on site for custom tanks- are they able to work around that for others, or did you have to talk them into it?

16. schooter

schooter Active Member

that rim is awesome

17. Cooter

Cooter Member

I know- I answered half asleep last night just so I could find the thread and reread it when I decided to go with spokes on my own Seca.

18. ddibling

ddibling Member

I took the old tank and cut the bottom off of it and mailed it to him. So, supposedly, it's going to drop right on if he ever finishes it. I've been waiting about 18 months now and the last time I called, he basically said, "don't call me, I'll call you." So I'm pretty stuck and am considering another tank for the time being...although I'm afraid it might be the permanent tank. I really don't understand. I spoke to him in June and he told me he had about two more hours worth of work. Here it is September and I'm still waiting. It sucks 'cause I'd really like to have that tank but I don't know what else to do. Fortunately I haven't paid him anything but it cost me about $50 to mail the tank pan to him. Oh well.

19. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Man, that's too bad. I had a bad feeling about it from the get go. And I don't even know the guy. But at least you just lost $50. Who knows maybe he'll finish it some day. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you. Try elsewere, there are other company ( IN THE Good US of A) that will work with you for that kind of money.

Are you done with the seat yet?

20. bottlecape30

bottlecape30 Member

you would think with the way the economy is he would finish up that project to get paid, anyway hope you get a really nice tank soon. Project looks great.