1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

CDI wirring

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mrlongshoreman, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mrlongshoreman

mrlongshoreman New Member

Can someone confirm the red/white and black wire for this CDI for a 1981 xj650 midnight maxim? I can figure the rest out once I confirm the red and black.

Attached Files:

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

There's no Red, period. There is a Red/White (red with a white stripe), which sits on the side of the connector with the retaining clip. The black is on the side opposite the retaining clip.

Also, there's no CDI in these bikes. They use regular Kettering dwell. The module is called a TCI module.

3. mrlongshoreman

thanks, so according to my diagram the red/white should be on top and the black on bottom?

are all xj650 wiring diagrams the same? I have a copy of one for an xj650 mine is a 1981 midnight maxim.

4. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

It looks like, from you picture, that the clip is on top... therefore the R/W should be on top.

No, not all XJ650's are the same. The earlier ones, like yours, didn't have a safety lockout for the TCI. On the '82's and later, there's an extra wire to the six pin connector for this lockout. The later models also share the ground wire for the pickups rather than running separate ones.

5. mrlongshoreman

I was asking because I am having troubles making sense of the wiring diagram I have.

the colors are fine but the location of the clip and how they orientate the TCI on the diagram doesn't make sense to me, I am just a newbie at this so maybe just me.