1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No power, but fuses are good..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Blackout550, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Blackout550

Blackout550 Member

Well today I was working on putting my new brakelight on and all was well with the rear brake switch. Then I started trying to figure out what way the wires need to go for the front switch and one way it just stayed on so I swapped the wires. I checked the front brake and nothing, and then I decided to hit the rear brake and POP. I figured crap too much fooln around with random wires and I blew a fuse. checked all my fuses and they are OK. When I turn the key I get nothing, non of the gauge lights or relays work. My only thought is I somehow fried the ignition switch? IDk if anyone can think of what this may be let me know so I can get back up and running. thanks!

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Some bikes have an in-line fuse, sometimes in the headlight bucket & sometimes just hanging off the loom, just a thought.

3. Blackout550

Blackout550 Member

hmmm Shoot didnt even think of that, I'll check quick. Thanks wiz

4. Blackout550

Blackout550 Member

figured it out. Upon further inspection of my fuse box I founf that one side of my main holder the tabs were broken at the base. Time for the new age fuse box mod.

5. bill

bill Active Member

Glad you found it - wiring issues can be a real bear to find sometimes.

6. mikeg

mikeg Member

Yup, anybody still running the original 20+ year old fuse box is begging for trouble. If you want to keep it that stock, at least by a new one so that the plastic isn't so #$%! brittle, I don't know, Len may carry them. Better yet, upgrade to new blade style fuses.

just my 2 cents,
    mikeg

7. Blackout550

Blackout550 Member

yep picked up a new blad style box from him today. cant wait to install it, and the fact of using blade style fuses is a blessing. I have a big lifetime supply bag of them I got from the J-yard