1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike for Sale 1983 SECA 750 - Runs but misses Just started.

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by 83Rider, Jun 23, 2009.

1. 83Rider

83Rider Member

I am selling my 1983 SECA 750, I did a lot of work to the bike this winter and it is ready to go.
    **Re-painted the plastics on the bike this winter.
    **Front forks have been re-built with new oil seals.
    **Gauges work except for the neutral light stays on
    **New front tire with less than 1000 miles
    **New rear tire with less than 3000 miles
    **New windscreen from clearviewshields
    **4 to 1 exhaust with a Jardine pipe
    **Changed oil about 1500 miles ago
    **Speedo says around 12000 miles but it is really about 14000 miles as I had to put a new speedo on this winter that had 2000 less miles than the original.

All in all this bike is in good condition, except for the miss in the engine. It has had some electrical work done before I bought it but seems to be in good condition. The battery is in good condition. I have rode the bike all spring/summer and it is has been very reliable. The front fairing is in ok condition, it is missing the cigarette lighter and the glove box covers but other than that it is complete.

The reason I am selling is I need the money. The bike is located in Lewisburg WV area and I will travel within reason to meet anyone interested.

I am asking $1200.00 or best offer. It might seem a little high but I have done a lot of work to this bike and I think this is reasonable. However make me an offer I will consider it. PM me any offer or any question and I will answer to the best of my ability.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 83Rider

83Rider Member

Re: Bike for Sale 1983 SECA 750 - Very good condition

All you smart guys tell me, am I asking too much? You will not hurt my feelings to tell me the truth.

3. Beanz

Beanz Member

You should put your location in your profile so people can tell if it's worthwhile.

Did you do the exhaust this winter? I've been looking for my maxim but it looks like they're not in stock.

Good luck with sale.

4. 83Rider

83Rider Member

I put the location in the print, I am in the Lewisburg WV area. If anyone is interested make me an offer. I am willing to travel within reason as well to deliver bike.

If it does not sell I am going to put on ebay, however I wanted to give all the wonderful members on this site to have first dibs.

Thanks

5. 83Rider

83Rider Member

Bump, just wanted to put this out here again. If anyone is interested just make an offer.

6. yrnomad

yrnomad New Member

Nice bike... Sorry you have to sell it. Food luck
    I like your work and the lower fairing.

7. 83Rider

83Rider Member

Well guys, it has to go, it is either going as a whole bike or by parts. I am having trouble with it missing / spitting and sputering. Bike does run just does not run like it should. So I will take 1200.00 in its current condition or if no one shows any interest start naming the parts you want.

Thanks

8. PipeDreams

PipeDreams Member

Don't part that bike out. There's no reason to, and you'd being doing a dis-service to the XJs!

Just put it on craigslist man. Just because you're not getting $1,200 out of it doesn't mean you should start tearing it apart. Unfortunately, your bike was made in 1983 and it isn't running correctly. I would think $1,200 would get you a rather flawless XJ.

Put it on craigslist, set the price at $700 and let her rip. She'll be gone in a week, tops. Just don't part a perfectly good bike, it would make me sad.

Edit: or just fix it.

9. 83Rider

83Rider Member

I do not know what is causing the problem. I first thought it was not getting any gas, I put in new plugs and that helped a lot. The plugs I took out looked burnt. It also has a smell to the exhaust like it is burning real rich. The bike does run just not perfectly. Any thoughts?

I agree, it bothers me to part it out. I have put a lot into this bike and I just am to the point I want rid of it. I know I could get my money back by parting it out.

10. KingPin

KingPin Member

ya know I may not be as bike savy as alot of the folks around here, but I just worked through that problem on a 79 XS 750, it seems always to be carb related. have you went through the basic tuning and fuel adjustments? Not sure you may just want it gone, but this forum has worked people through these same issues and it is an damn pretty bike, would be a shame to hack it up. Maybe you could work through the problem and then either keep the girl or get even more for her on the auction block. Anyhow just an opinion

11. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    Re: Bike for Sale 1983 SECA 750 - Runs but misses Just start

take a deep breath and realize a couple of things...

A) it has a minor problem...
    B) it is SEPTEMBER and there isnt the demand at the end of the season...
    C) members and visitors HERE already have their bikes and arent in need of one at the present time...

if you put it on craigslist with a $1200.00 OR BEST OFFER, you STILL might not sell it because of reason A and B...

if it has to go NOW, then be prepared for some low offers. if you can hold onto it for a couple of months and slowly work out the miss, you should be able to turn it for $1200 without a whimper come april or may...

see the posts (i know there are some here) on checking the valves, going through the carbs and checking the brushes and coils...

DONT part it out...

$0.02

12. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'll back LT up, don't part it out. Bide your time until next spring if you can, MUCH better chance of getting your asking price then.

13. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Re: Bike for Sale 1983 SECA 750 - Runs but misses Just start

I agree with all the above - it is way too nice to part out and it has issues that should be easily fixed so you can sell it next Spring. Did it run fine back in June when you originally placed the ad (and now does not - 3 months later)? Could it be just bad/stale gas? If not, you should do some carb cleaning/ignition troubleshooting research and start a different post.

14. schooter

schooter Active Member

Trust me, if that bike ran, 1200 would be a lowball offer.... in the spring.

also, i dont think many people around here are in the WV area

15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

DON'T part it!!!!!! Take the carbs off and do a THOROUGH cleaning of them, then put them back on and do a carb sync and a carbtune. Then re-sync. I'll bet the problem goes away.

Dave Fox

16. Great_Buffalo

Great_Buffalo Member

If I were closer I'd shoot you an offer, but for God's sake don't part it out. First of all, parting out is a pain in the keester. You'll for ever be left with parts youy can't get rid of or if you find a buyer, you may brake the part trying to get it off if you don't your stuff.

I'll second the others, It's late in the year, moneys tight all over, and it has an issue.

Do your homework and fix the problem, Chances are it's simply carbs. Rebuild them in your spare time this winter and come spring, you'll be able to sell easier or I'll bet you'll ride it once with it purring like a kitty kat and keep it.

Good luck but keep your head.

The Buff