1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cam chain adjustment

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ1100, Aug 29, 2006.

1. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

OK, I know it's been covered a million times. I know I should use the search function...I really should get a manual...I'm an idiot.....there, that's done.

Now, can someone please explain the process of adjusting the cam chain on a 1982 XJ1100? I need pictures, drawings, simple step by step instructions (see the "idiot" comment above...)

I've never worked on a bike before, but I'd like to start getting to know my bike a little more intimately.

Be patient with me..I'm new at this......and......I'm an idiot.

Thanks guys!

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Let it be known that we welcome idots who don't know how to use the search engine! So welcome aboard. However: I am the biggest idiot on the forum and donot wish for any competition.
    This is a simple adjustment. First put the tranny in neutral and remove the left side point cover. That would be the round access plate on the lower portion of the engine directly under the cylinders. Once this is off you will find a pointer and plate. Rotate the engine counter-clockwise until the pointer is pointing at the C mark. There are 2 marks. One is T and the other is C. The C may look like a U sideways to you. With the pointer in the middle of C loosen the jam nut on the tensioner to allow it to adjust. If it was loose you will hear a click, if not you will hear nothing. Then tighten the jam nut and replace the left side point cover.
    The tensioner may be different on your 1100 since it mounts on the front of the engine. Ours mount on the back. There are two basic types, Automatic and manual. According to the XJCD yours is manual. If it looks like the ones on other XJ's it will have a bolt coming out the side. This is where the jamnut will be. It will be a bolt with another nut on it to hold it in position.
    Someone here has an XS1100 which has more in common with your bike than the XJ's. Yours is an XJ in name only. Yamaha changed the designation to cash in on the XJ name popularity. It will help you in the future to understand this. You will see and read how we do something and it won't work on your bike the same way. Just like your tensioner is on the front of the engine instead of the back. Hope this helps! :)

3. ROBBY

ROBBY Member

Is the 550 adjusted the same way?

4. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Yes. The 550 has the manual tensioner which is mounted on the back of the engine. The timing marks are the same. As far as I know all XJ's use the "C" mark for the camchain tensioner adjustment.

5. ohmega

ohmega Member

Good advice guys, I second what was said above. I'd like to add only to be careful when tightening the stopper bolt and locknut. It's easy to overtighten them. On my bike the torque values are 6Nm (4.3 ft*lb) for the stopper bolt, and 9Nm (6.5 ft*lb) for the locknut. You need a torque wrench for this. If you don't have a torque wrench you'll just have to tighten them enough as to hold, but not too much as to break the bolt/nut or bend the tensioner assembly.

It's a simple procedure though. Hope it goes well for you.

6. HooNz

HooNz Member

Unless one has the auto tensioner......

7. HooNz

HooNz Member

And there is only one biggest idiot on these Forums , and thats the search engine......

8. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Wow! This site once again proved to me just how valuable it is. You guys are the best. Since I'm new to bikes and I have a strong desire to learn, the simple instructions are exactly what I needed. I'm going to tackle this project this week sometime. Hopefully all goes well....if not, you'll be hearing from me sooner than later!

Thanks again guys..

9. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

My wife is looking at me strangely cos that had me chuckling for ages. :lol:

Blumaxims instructions are spot on apart from the direction of rotation. XS,XJ 1100's run in the opposite direction hence the cam tensioner on the front of the case.

So to do the 1100 rotate the engine clockwise to the C mark.

Still chuckling. :lol:

10. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

[/quote]

Blumaxims instructions are spot on apart from the direction of rotation. XS,XJ 1100's run in the opposite direction hence the cam tensioner on the front of the case.

So to do the 1100 rotate the engine clockwise to the C mark.

Still chuckling. :lol:[/quote]

Thanks Goon. I didn't know that. But at least it helps me retain my title. :lol:

11. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Can anyone take a few pictures of the cam chain adjuster on the front of their engine? I think I found mine, but it's got a weird looking cap over the end, which looks like some kind of putty or sealant cap, not metal or plastic.... Is it possible it was leaking from the end and instead of fixing it, the previous owner just gooped it up to stop the leak?

Weird, I know. If I had my camera with me, I'd show you what I'm talking about here. If someone could snap a few pics for me, that would be great!

Thanks again for all your help and advice..

Dave

12. Nick

Nick Member

Here's a parts blow up from Yamaha web site.
    Hope it helps with what your looking for.

Attached Files:

13. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

That's perfect. It appears that the previous owner "gooped" up the end of the adjuster with some sort of epoxy or sealant. I can only assume that it was leaking and that was his quick fix?

Is this something that I would be able to remove, clean up, and re-install without too much hassle? Or would I be better off finding a new one to install? Where would I find one?

14. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

Yea, it sounds like he just had a leak. If the RTV stops it then I wouldn't worry.

15. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

I checked the parts diagram on the XJCD to see just what part #15 was. It just says plug. Now if it is a threaded plug then the PO may have lost it hence the RTV goop all over yours. The good part about that is, if it is threaded then find a bolt that fits and just cut it down short. Someone here with an 1100 can measure the length of theirs and you will know what to cut it to. The length may be important to apply the necessary pressure to the internal spring. We just need to see a pic of that part.
    I would want that piece in if it is missing. If it is not missing then my earlier post is my advice.

16. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Well, I don't really like the idea of RTV on an adjustable part to keep it from leaking. I won't be able to adjust it the way it is and I'd have to keep gooping it up to keep it from leaking.

If I could find the whole adjuster assembly, I'd just swap the whole thing, adjust it, and be done with it.

Anyone know where parts like this can be found semi-easily?

17. 2fast

2fast New Member

My 78 XS11 has some RTV on the end of the adjuster that has been there for many years to stop a slow seep. Works fine, don't worry about it.
    BTW, good to see another MN member. I was just up there last week to run Hwy 1 from Ely to the north shore. Great ride. You might want to check out http://www.xs11.com/ for more info and some excellent tech advice.

18. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

It's not threaded. It's just a little plastic plug that stops dirt getting into the plunger/shaft area. It just pushes in. If a new one is available the I wouldn't expect it to cost more than a buck.

If new is not available then I'm sure something could be found/made to replace it. Try a rubber place who have cap ends for tube type furniture. Around 15mm diameter I think.

19. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

Thanks for all the advice. I really need to adjust the cam chain, but I'm afraid to take off all the RTV and find out it leaks really bad.

I'm sure there's a better fix for the leak than filling it with RTV. If anyone has any parts laying around, I'd be interested. Drop me a line here or e-mail me.

2fast, I've done the Hwy 1 trip a few times. It's a great little ride on a nice day. I'm on XS11.com too, but they're geared more toward XS bikes. I like it here where people mainly deal in the XJ's.

Anyway, thanks again for all the replies. Much appreciated!

20. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

You won't know what the problem is till you scrape that goop off. If the plastic cap is still undr there then it's an easy fix. Just knock it out and put a light coat of rtv in there before replacing the cap. Also check the rubber o-ring under the locknut. Apart from that the only other leak source is the face gasket.

If it was me I'd take it off and give it a good clean. One danger of cam chain tensioners is overtightening them and having the housing split. DAMHIKT. PO might have done this and put RTV over the crack. If this is the case then get a replacement pronto as the tensioner will be floating around, not locked in position.