1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

motorswap from a 1981 xj650 into a 1982 xj650 yics...

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 650boy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. 650boy

650boy Member

I've looked to see what the differences are and it looks like the ignition box has an extra wire (black) going to it on the 82 yics. The rest looks the same. just wondering if anyone has more information about this ? ....

i have pictures and a video i took im trying to load them. not sure about the interchangable parts with these years and i dont have the xj cd which tells you the parts that interchange among these bikes... if you have any info please tell :) Thanks !!!!!!

2. 650boy

650boy Member

i did make a video and take pictures but i can't seem to post them if you would like i can e-mail it or post it some other way... not sure how else ?

3. CMoney

CMoney Member

I'm not completely sure about this, so hopefully someone can back me up...

On the 81 650, the tachometer is mechanically driven off one of the cams. On the 82 650, it is electronically driven by a signal from the TCI (ignition box). So that's why the TCI has an extra wire on the 82 (presumably running to the tach).

C$

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

It's all going into a 1982 bike, can you use all 1982 ignition parts?
    Put the '82 crank coils on the '81 engine.

5. 650boy

650boy Member

yes its going in the 1982 frame, i bought this bike for parts cause it had a blown motor but the rest of the bike is solid.

do you know if the wiring harness of the 82 will work on the 81 motor after i swap the crank coils ?

6. 650boy

650boy Member

anyone... bueller...bueller...........

kinda lookin to start tomorrow.

....bueller

7. coachholland

coachholland Member

I have an 81 and an 82. The tach cable has already been mentioned. I've checked over the wiring on the two bikes and that all looks to be the same. The only other difference (besides a few cosmetics) is that the rubber boots from the carbs going into the engine are aligned differently on the two engines. Boots all align in one direction on the 81, they align opposite directions on the left hand and right hand side of the engine on an 82.

8. 650boy

650boy Member

thanks, i just got the motor out of the 82 and im swapping the wheels as well just workin on gettin the motor out of the 81, i have noticed that the brake calipers are different but thats no biggie, im sure i'll run into a few other things...

I'll try and keep y'all updated !!

9. coachholland

coachholland Member

The calipers are different, but still a direct swap for the whole assembly. If you're changing parts around, you'll also notice that the forks are different as well. 82 and 83 models included adjustable air, just standard dampening on 80 and 81 models.

10. 650boy

650boy Member

another reason why i chose to swap the motor.. i was told the forks should be around 12 to 15 psi ? is that true ??

Motors in, electricals connected and im ready for a first crank .... i managed to do it in about a day ..

i'll keep you updated .....

i got a complete bike besides working motor if anyone is lookin for parts : )

11. 650boy

650boy Member

air fork pressure is around 6 psi average 17 max.

got spark new exhaust new seat fresh paint. Can't wait to ride.

12. 650boy

650boy Member

Since last time i posted i got a new battery and rear brake shoes.
    Had to indian larry my fat tire since it rubbed on the drive shaft arm...
    need front brake caliper and pads..

getin insurance and registration tomorow... excited first ride on a xj ... had a xs400 that thing ripped had flames shootin out the back straight pipe ....