1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil Light goes on when hold down startbutton! HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by nelkindotnet, Jul 16, 2009.

1. XJbull81

XJbull81 Member

Re: Oil Light goes on when hold down startbutton! HELP!!!!!!

I have the same problem, I just bridged the solenoid and the engine started, looks like I have a bad solenoid, off to Chacal I go :lol:

2. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Nope. All my connections are fine! I did pull my starter, and one of the magnetic plates was sticking to the rotor cause it broke in half. I'm going to see if I can epoxy it back in place, and see if that works. Hopefully I didnt kill my Solenoid when it broke.. Maybe thats why my bike died on me while I was riding.... I hope thats all it is.
    -Chris

3. Blackout550

Blackout550 Member

got the same problem, starts when I jump it so mine has crapped out too

4. nelkindotnet

nelkindotnet Member

Sorry, I'm still kind of noob. What do you mean by bridging the solenoid?

5. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Taking wire or a screwdriver and pressing it to the + on the Battery to the little round thingy with two wire connected to it. Press it to the one that has the wire running to the starter itself. Usually the black one

6. XJbull81

XJbull81 Member

Bridging the solenoid= taking a screw driver and using it to connect the two contact points.
    BTW does anyone know if you can use break cleaner to clean out starter switches and starters and what not or is it just for non electrical parts? :D

7. nelkindotnet

nelkindotnet Member

Ahh... So if bridging doesn't work, but I still get the clicking noise, that means my starter probably isn't turning over, most likely it is stuck...? I am going to take it apart this afternoon, I'll update this thread in a little bit.

8. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Hey! Cleaning up my starter worked wonderfully!! Got all the gunk out of there and glued that plate back in place and she runs great now

9. nelkindotnet

nelkindotnet Member

Oh man, I need to get off work now so I can try and clean that bitch. Day is gonna drag now! I just wanna work on my bike. :(

10. bill

bill Active Member

I know the feeling...

11. Robert

Robert Active Member

NO, one click with a corresponding click as the coil de-energizes when you let off the starter switch.
    Yes.
    Not if you are reading 12V at the output of the solenoid when you cycle it. Have you tested the starter yet? I am to understand that you bridged the solenoid already with no success which would indicate a bum starter.
    Get that thing out and clean it (check the brushes while you are at it, I had mine bite me in the butt).

12. XJbull81

XJbull81 Member

I took my starter off and got it all clean, now when I go to start the bike, the starter dosent even activate, and the solenoid rapidly clicks. I go to use the screw driver on the solenoid and just get a bunch of sparks, earlier in the day the bike started up when I bridged the solenoid, Wonder if I jacked my starter motor up.... where the line from the solenoid meets the starter I broke that plastic piece when I tightened the nut, would that have any effect on the starter motor activating? Geeze everytime I touch this thing I break somthing.... :? :evil:

13. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Did you install the starter back correctly?? You could have flipped the center piece around and reversed the polarity, causing it to spin back words... Hmmm. Doube check that?

14. XJbull81

XJbull81 Member

Ya it only fits in one way any other position and the positive terminal wont reach the hole to the outside of the starter...., and it dosent even spin at all.... I tightened the nut down to tight and the 30 year old plastic pice on the outside of the starter snapped and the magnet looking pice that holds the terminal tight chipped onone corner. So there is nothing holding the terminal tight, I think it might be grounding itself. I also tried with my jumper cables to start the starter and all it did was spark. :?

15. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

My magnet broke and was clinging to my rotor amature peice thing when she broke down, and so I quick steeled her back in. But because the magnet was no longer attached to the wall and was holding onto the armature, binding it, it prevented the rotor inside from spinning I guess.. She wouldnt even turn over or spin at all till I quicked that magnet in and cleaned that crap out of the casing! Now she starts up better than ever.
    Loose connection maybe? Check contacts?? I'm be-fuddled currently, but I'm trying to put plausible ideas out there so maybe the solution will just come to you... Have patience! And use that brain of yours!
    -Christoph

16. XJbull81

XJbull81 Member

I came to the conclusion that it is the positive brush stud bushings that I broke causing the problem. It's a 9 dollar part from Chacal, but instead Im just gonna buy the whole new brush set with plate and the bushing come with it, for 44 bucks, and will get a solenoid also since that is trashed.

17. nelkindotnet

nelkindotnet Member

Ok, so yes I am definitely noob... When you guys talk about "Jumping" the starter, where are you hooking up the jumper cables? Also... Can I use a car/truck to jump my motorcycle? haha, I know all you Wizard's are laughing at me right now. :D

18. nelkindotnet

nelkindotnet Member

Also... My Starter solenoid goes from clicking everytime click the button... To softly making a clicking noise, or no clicking noise at all...

19. XJbull81

XJbull81 Member

Ya I used regular car and truck type jumper cables, you want to find the stud on the outside of the starter where the cable is coming from, slide the boot down and stick the positive cable to it to see if it starts it.
    Make sure to stick the ground cable on a metal part of your bike like the engine or somthing.

20. XJbull81

XJbull81 Member

Sounds just like mine, I lay bet your solenoid is bad.