1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

say i wanted to replace my fusebox....

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jamesc2008, Jul 16, 2009.

1. jamesc2008

jamesc2008 Member

I broke off one of those dumb little metal fingers and no longer have brake lights etc. Ive heard that there is a type of fusebox that is compatable with XJs that is a bit more modern. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

PM chacal and he will send you the info on his fuse box that he sells.

MN

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The way I go about installing a new fuse box allows me to place it just about anywhere beneath the seat.

From a salvaged wiring harness; I cut some lengths of matching color-coded wire.

I prepare the new fuse box by soldering and heat shrinking -- 8-inch lengths of matching color-coded wire to the blade terminals on the box.

Then, after cutting-out the old fuse box from the bikes wiring harness; I solder-on some long extensions to the short ends and shrink wrap the splices.

Next, I place the new fuse box under the seat and attach it, finger tight with some new fasteners.

With the new box sitting where it will be permanently installed; I next run the wires their matching wires on the wiring harness. Using needle-nosed pliers to hold the wires; I create new 90-degree corners and bends to fit the wires together nicely ... for soldered-up splicing and heat shrink.

Once all the wires are custom bent and the splices soldered-up and finished. I remove the fastener securing the new box to the airbox and tape the wiring for an OEM looking finishing-up.

4. baz666

baz666 Member

Rick's got it down. I converted both my XJ650 Maxim and XJ900 Seca to blade fuses after I had one of the fuse clips break off while riding one late, cold night. I managed to wire it in place temporarily but made the switch to blades on both bikes the very next day. The clips that hold the old style glass tube fuses in place become very brittle with age. I guess it was just vibration that finally made the one on my Maxim let go. Of course it happened late at night far from home.

5. jamesc2008

jamesc2008 Member

thanks guys, ive been having issues with the fuses in general on my bike so replacing the box is a good idea. Just out of curiosity, do XJs have issues with the fuses and/or fuseboxes in general? I understand that the previous owner of my bike had some problems and was curious if this is an across the board thing with these bikes.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It sure is. The fuse clips are actually brass, but whatever silver metal they plated them with seems to react with them over time and they actually crystallize. One of mine broke while the bike was sitting parked in the garage.

You can replace just the clips with very similar ones from Radio Shack but finding the right fuses has become impossible as well.

7. bill

bill Active Member

Well any 80s bike will have this issue - the plastic (bakealight (sp?)) drys out and becomes brittle. The metal fuse holders become fatigued from vibration and usage. SO you will see a common recommendation to replace them

Also the ATX fuses are darn hard to find as mentioned.

8. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    bakelight hasnt been in use in about 50 years but still, the plastic 'dries out' as the petroleum used to produce the plastic evaporates...

i got my fuse box from wiring products dot com some time ago. they have 4, 6 and 8 capacity blocks...

because those blocks have open bottoms, i filled them up with melted glue stick. it helps keep the moisture out but i dont know if its absolutely necessary...

i use female spade connectors instead of hardwiring the block in but thats just me...

[​IMG]

made a cover plate for it with each circuit and its ampacity...

[​IMG]

oh yeah, in order to comply with your thread, "i wanted to replace my fusebox..."

9. FastMaxim82

FastMaxim82 Member

that's how i got my bike for cheaper, it wouldn't start cuz the fuses were broken off. i just went with a couple inline fuse holders and was up and running.

10. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

LTDave, Nice job and since you have two spare places for fuses what a great place to keep your spares in case of an emergency. Also I like the idea of filling the back to keep water/dirt out.

MN

11. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    i got the 6 place because i was thinking in case i wanted to add a cigarette lighter socket for plugging in my mp3 player or phone charger although i COULD carry spares there...

12. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

I did the Inline as well

A pic is on my rebuild page (www button below)

13. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

LtDave,

what are the measurements on that bad boy the site doesn't give dimensions that I could find. I have a friend in need for his bike but limited space.

14. tomandjerry00

tomandjerry00 Member

Search the forum for the how-to change fusebox. A fellow member did a great step-by-step photo how-to on changing it. Very useful!

15. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you do INLINE Fuses ... there's not much of a fuss about it.

I'd raid my wife's or daughter's supply of Nail Polish and Color Code the IGN and LIGHTS.

If you do a new Fuse Panel. Do some prep. Solder-in some Wiring Harness EXTENSIONS ... Then, Solder-on some Connection Wires to the Fuse Panel.
    Splice them nice ant tape the whole works.

[​IMG]

16. XJbull81

XJbull81 Member

I went to autozone got some inline fuse holders and fuses, the holders are rubber and have little caps that go over the blade style fuses. Cost was under 20 bucks, and I didn't have to solder, I just krimped the wires and wrapped them in electrical tape. took 30 min, and it works good. :D

17. bill

bill Active Member

My PO did the same - my first long ride the ignition wire came out. I don't trust butt splices. You will be better off to solder them in. Eventually you will have problems with them. I don't like the clutter of all the separate holders, just a preference. I installed a fuse box.

18. 650boy

650boy Member

yup cheap and easy....