1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hi and Low Beams Required for Inspection

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by unreal41683, Jul 18, 2009.

1. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

Ok, so I bought an 82 XJ750 last month off of a guy, and I changed the rear brakes. I went and got plates for it yesterday, and went to get it inspected today.

Everything passes EXCEPT for the headlight.

See the PO changed the headlight wiring around (I'm guessing there was a problem). Now the headlight is hotwired into the battery running with just and on off switch that is mounted to one of the reflectors. This means that if I have the key outta the bike, I could still turn the headlight on. This isn't the problem.

See in NY state you have to have both hi and low beams in order to pass inspection. Since the switch on the bike runs right into the headlight, it bypasses any switching that would choose one or the other, so it always runs as the hi beam.

How do I go about getting the low beam working? Is there a different wire in that would do the low beam or is it just a difference of resistance?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. bill

bill Active Member

Green - yellow and black wire to your headlight. Black is ground yellow and green are the High/low I'm not sure which is which off hand but you could certainly wire it up.

Best thing is to figure out why he did that. There is a headlight rely that keeps it off until the bike is turning over. Probably failed but it is easily bypassed without hot wiring the headlight.

3. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

chacal says that the 750s didnt have the relay to keep the headlight off. Fixed that on my 550 already. Need to get it to pass inspection though. Picked up a threeway switch at Advance Auto Parts today, gotta get off my butt and put it in and try the other wire.

4. unreal41683

unreal41683 Member

YAY!!!! Yay Yay yeah.

Alrighty. I got myself a 10 amp 3 way switch, and opened up the headlight bucket tonight. Ran some new 16 gauge wires from the new switch to the headlight wires. Awesome!!!! Some quick disconnects and some liquid electrical tape and I'm pretty happy with it. It kinda started to rain as I finished, so I need to get the switch opened up again so I can seal those connections with the liquid electrical tape too.

Now I have hi (Green wire) and low (Yellow wire).

What's also awesome is that the lights in my gauge cluster weren't working before, but now when I fire up the low beam (which wasn't wired in) I also get the gauges lit up. Totally sweet.

Absolutely no reason I shouldn't pass inspection now. Should be taking it in Friday or Saturday... 100% chance of rain tomorrow :(

Up next is cleaning the speedo cable to get the speedometer accurate again.

As always thanks Bill