1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

GPS4XJ? 2 b or not 2 be?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by schooter, Jul 23, 2009.

1. schooter

schooter Active Member

Hello guys, well as long as everything goes smoothly from here on (cross fingers carbs are good) All i have to do is ble the brakes, and then i think i'm going to take the bike to the shop to change the tires (and check rear brake for delamination), adjust the valves, and give her a tune on the carbs, as well as checking over anything on hte bike, and if it needs to be fixed or replaced he has to ok it with me, otherwise i can do it.

anyways, once this bike is on the road, since it has 1900 miles, It should become a reliable bike, So i would like to drive without any care of where i'm going, and switch on my GPS and hit "HOME"

so What i'm wondering is if i can wire in a cigarette wire into the system of my bike to power my GPS, i have the basic Tom-tom 80 buck one off ebay. I presume the battery is a little more powerful than a cell phone, so will i overload the system or not?

2. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

schooter, I just did this very thing last weekend. I purchased a "hardwire" kit off of e-bay, opened the headlight bucket and tapped into the gage lights so that it would be key operated. Ran the other end of the wire out the hole in the back of the headlight bucket and up between the cluster and steering head pad.

I also picked up a "ram-mount" for the gps and installed the ball in the little recess for the yamaha emblem on the steering pad.

I'll post pictures later tonigh of my set-up

3. schooter

schooter Active Member

kk thanks, I was going to buy an old mirror, and do some modifications so it will hold a gps, all ithink i'd need to do is cut it off where i want to to, find the bolt that fits in the gps, and weld her on, easy as pie

but please , pics will get u my sister's phone number :p

aww hech, here it is:
    1-989-867-5309

4. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

No thanks on the sisters number... One is too many

Attached Files:

5. coachholland

coachholland Member

Just so you know and if you don't feel like fabricating, they make a handlebar mounting bracket specifically for the TomTom One. You can find them online and on ebay. They're cheap and work great.

The draw these things require is pretty much next to nothing. Won't overload your system.

I've used RAM Mounts for several projects and they're built solid and their design makes them universal for whatever brand of GPS you use. However, if you have the TomTome One, I'd go with the ones that are made specifically for it. They're less expensive as well.

6. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Coach, I bought one of those cheap handle bar mounts off of e-bay for my wife's Garmin i5. Found that it was not as tight as I would have liked.... Ended up buying my ram-nount from GPS city the entire package was $23 + shipping.

For bikes I strongly suggest the ram-mount products.

Schooter, the part you see bolted to the bike was actually the 2 1/2" diameter plate that came with the rubber ball. All I did was cut it to fit the recess. The plate itself had a series of holes in it one of which matched the pattern on the pad exactly.

7. schooter

schooter Active Member

thanks, That looks like it was factory, nice job!

8. bill

bill Active Member

I have the cheap mount - works great. I added a cig plug under the right cover and ran the adapter up. I store the cable under the ignition trim when not in use. I just plug the adapter in when I need to use it.

9. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Bill, you are right! The cheapo works much better for my Nuvi than it does the wifes i5 but I am telling you schooter instead of spending $10 plus shipping spend $25 and get something you can hang the bike from

10. ChaosXJ

ChaosXJ New Member

I have wires built for all of my accessories attached to my bike via a Battery Tender Cable plug. IPOD, cell phone. cigarette lighter, and or even a power inverter. Just pick up a polarity plug at the store and hard wire anything that that is designed to run 12V. It don't look nearly as good as that but it is versatile. Plus it is "fused" through the Tender cable and it is always on(this can be good and bad).