1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Economical front brake upgrade

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bigfitz52, Jul 6, 2009.

1. SSRat

SSRat Member

I'm a bit of a bike newb but if your front rotor was a bit on the 'wobbly' side... I'd say that was a very bad thing and to replace/turn that rotor ASAP...

2. maxhog650

maxhog650 Member

well not that it IS wobbly. it is just that apparently you wont feel slight wobble with rubber brake hoses. and with ss you feel everything

Im just wondering if anyone has felt brake wobble with ss that was hidden with rubber

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

midnightblu: It was $70 including shipping.

maxhog650: No signs of warpage; however: The rotor I sent the guy was off a bike with less than 8000 miles on it. It took VERY LITTLE grinding to make it perfect; the total (both sides) taken off was only like .04-.06mm. It now has about 600 miles on it; the pads (new Yamaha) are fully broken in, and I just fitted the stainless lines, only 120 miles since they went on.

It may still warp (one of the possible consequences of not grinding both sides simultaneously) and we shall find out. I had one OMG pulldown from 75mph to crawling on the freeway yesterday, and although I could smell the pads, there was no fade and the rotor isn't warped (yet.)

Stay tuned.

4. Screamin_TE

Screamin_TE New Member

Do you guys all have the remote master cylinder with a cable from the brake lever to the master cylinder on your bikes?

Are there any know issues with this system? Good alternative upgrades etc??

5. bigfitz52

No, mine (the 550s anyway) have a conventional bar-mounted master cylinder. I THINK the remote M/C was unique to the Seca 750.

6. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I've heard that the hot set-up is diagonal, ball milled grooves ( not slots) that don't go all the way thru. They vent to atmosphere, they scrape, they add surface area, and they don't take away strength, (much).

Holes would vent one pad over to the other pad, unless you had vented rotors. The gas would be trapped inside the hole in the rotor??

Sure looks good tho, Fitz. You could probablly get a European wrecker to mail you a fork leg and caliper. . . .

7. bigfitz52

I really don't think the bike is heavy enough to merit all the extra unsprung weight of the second disc and caliper. Once improvements are in place, the single disc has plenty of stopping power.