1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Motor cutting out

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kerstingm, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

I have a 81 650 Maxim the problem I'm having is as I'm ridding the bike my motor just shuts off, but it starts right back up. I'm leaning towards my throttle/start/stop assembly because it's acting like the stop switch was hit.
    I have tried to trace some of the wire harness can't find any loose wires.
    Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

2. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Another item to consider (yes, this appears to be my cause celebre) is TCI module. I had the same thing happen to me; if the unit is indeed failing, bad solder joints and/or failing capacitors inside the module are the likely culprit.

There is/was a Geocities page put up by a gentleman in New Zealand that detailed the problem and illustrated the fix, but I doubt it's still there, as Geocities has been made extinct. The good news is, the page is still archived on the XJCDs.

3. Blackduck

Blackduck New Member

Can't help you but it sure looks like I just posted the same problem. You know what they say about misery and company.

4. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Can you please let me know which unit is the TCI and what does it do? I know there are two electrical boxes on the right side.

5. tomandjerry00

tomandjerry00 Member

Did you check clogged fuel lines by chance or vacuum problems? I had some fuel line problems that were causing some similar problems. Good luck!

6. schmuckaholic

Right side? I thought it was the left...

In any event the TCI, or Transistor Controlled Ignition module, is the unit that sends the signal to the coils to fire the plugs. It's the black plastic box; the other module with the fins on it is the voltage regulator/rectifier.

I get the idea you don't have the XJCD set; good thing to have. Lots of information there.

7. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

Yes I know that I need the XJCD set. Just haven't gotten around to it. Keeps bitting me in the butt from how much detail that is on it. The dealer I talked to says I have a CDI unit. Either way discontuned ($550 for one)
    Keeping an eye out on ebay for that and a throttle assembly.

8. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

On your left side there is a box closer to the battery that has a 4 pin clip and a 6 pin clip coming out of it. Should be two bolts holding in a plastic panel that'll make it much easier to remove the clips and clean them. While thats off, hit everythnig inside with contact cleaner and also check every connection in there with a volt meter. It'll help eliminate further probs.
    My motor died on me the other night and it turned out to be (I'm 90% sure) a loose wire from my kill switch. Re-soldered, re-taped, and she's good now
    -Christoph

9. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

I think I know what you are talking about. I'll check that out
    Thanks

10. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

Does anybody know if a CDI unit from a 550 will work on a 650?

11. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

hmmm sound like a short .... by chance have you checked your side stand switch ... also take a good look around for burnt wires re-ground the bike if you havnt already ..

a second thought crosses my mind ... have you tested the voltage on this bike... what voltage are you getting at idle as well as 2500 to 3000 rpm?

It is entirely possible that you have a failing CDI but as a rule of thumb if it runs for any length of time check elsewhere first

here is an xj manual resource that another member sent to me a while back.

http://www.4shared.com/dir/1570443/a2eb ... aring.html

12. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

Thanks for the info. I'm still thinking it's my throttle run/off switch. The start button was missing when I got the bike so it has a rigged switch in place. I'm thinking the switch might be losing conection.

13. FastMaxim82

FastMaxim82 Member

i'd take the switch apart and inspect it or clean it up first. That's alot of on/off since 81, and it seems alot of the elctrical problems i've found on mine any way are small things like that. unfortunatley the cdi will not work from a 550, it tried the other way with one from a 650 and was told it won't work. if it is the kill switch or wiring then ok but still may be a not so bad idea to pick up a cdi/tci(i never remmeber which it's called) off ebay for cheep as it beats the 5-600 bucks for a new one ;)

14. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

So far I've had the bike running and have shaken, pulled, and twisted every wire harness I can get to just to see if I can get the engine to cut out. So far no luck, but I'm still serching.
    I saw a CDI unit on e-bay the other day. It had a $1.04 bid with 3 hours left I had no way of watching it before it closed. When I got home it sold for $10. It would be great to find another one, but right now ebay doesn't have a throttle or CDI to be found. My local salvage yard has throttles for $20, but I have to pick through a bin to find what I need. (A little worried about that)
    Thanks again for all of the advice so far.

15. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

A lot of folks have issues with the fuse box.... intermittant issuse and such.. as well as the start relay... forgive me for mentioning that if you have already doe them.

16. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

I've check the (lame) fuse box all seems ok. I even wiggled the wires with the engine running and the engine did not stall. I have not checked the start relay. Is this something that can cause the engine to stall once it is running?

17. kerstingm

kerstingm Member

I think I found the problem. I barely touched the run/off switch and the engine died with it in the run position. I just need to find a good used one.
    Anybody know anybody parting out a bike?

18. schmuckaholic

That's good -- should be a much easier fix.

If memory serves, there have been a number of parts bikes show up on here as of late. As I've not taken the switches apart before, I don't know if it can be repaired or if it is indeed necessary to swap.

19. helmet

helmet Member

20. Blackduck

Blackduck New Member

Where you able to resolve your problem?