1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj700x maxim x 1986 stalling and die

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by spiderman3k, Jul 26, 2009.

1. spiderman3k

spiderman3k New Member

when the bike warms up like real warm start give s me problem like stalling or just die.( i just bought this) i tough was the carbs cos did it at first day and the second day i start it and keep the problem like the carbs where screw or clog.. but at the third day start like new again... so i took the carbs cleanb and sync.. put it to run and when heat uo boooom die again.. i took the spark plug and check x spark, and a little tinny spark came out but real weak and thin..??? could be cdi or coils... i dont know some one when thru this already ..

and if its the cdi or coils wich year and model will be fit each others

oo the other thing when i unplug the battery bike died.. this is common or the alternator is bad too?

hold the charge.. just dont know

thxz in advance

2. bill

bill Active Member

Easy one first - have to have the battery to run - Generator charges the battery above 2k rpm below that you are running on battery only.

Idle problem - I assume you give it some choke to cold start and as it warms remove the choke. When warm does it run fine but just won't idle? If so you may need to turn the idle screw between carb 2 and 3 in a bit.

Other wise you could have several issues, mix not right (check you spark plugs and tune for the tan color), or sync off (need to do a vacuum sync).

could be an air leak (probe with unlit propane torch if revs up you have an air leak). But usually this causes it to rev up on it's own.

So check your plug colors then if right try the idle screw. Failing that post up a good list of exact symptoms.

3. spiderman3k

spiderman3k New Member

thxz tomorrow i will monkey around.. i just noticed.. will start but wont run fine like i have to play with the choke.. it may be a wrong mix.. i will check tomorrow
    thxz x the adviced..

4. helmet

helmet Member

just don't over-complicate the issue...keep it simple. I banged my head over my bike for a long time cuz I couldnt get it right
    start with your mix screws and go from there.

5. spiderman3k

spiderman3k New Member

am going in .. thxz x the advices.. ill keep posted

6. helmet

helmet Member

good luck on your mission.

7. spiderman3k

spiderman3k New Member

well now i changed some thing, i take the silencer from the muffler, and am going with pods.. cos of this i can't real tested yet..

my big question what sizes jet should go with this little mods the pod and open pipes.. 3 sizes biggers?.. i have to change only the main jets?

where i can get them.. my kawa dealer say its about $10 per jet.. there is any cheaper..?
    kawa is 2 block from my house.. thats why kawa..!

carbs r mikuni..
    the jets i have to replaced is the main or pilot,,?

as always thxz x the advice.. bike sounds awsome but not running correct currently, many crap to do still.. i just send to paint tank side cover and fenders porsche dark gray hope will run like porsche
    some day..

8. helmet

helmet Member

dont introduce more problems to something that is already acting up
    as RickCoMatic would say:
    These machines are finely tuned works of art. EVERY piece on them is designed to fit perfect with the next and get as much power as possible out of them. any change to them, would only cause more problems. going to pods and jumping a couple jet sizes to make up for the increased air flow could lead to more issues later.

leave the airbox alone, fix the other problems first.

9. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

My x wouldn't idle. Carb mix screws were set at 2.5 (or so I swear they were). Pulled the plugs, whiter than a sheet of copy paper. I came out an additional 1 turns on the mix screws. Took me about an hour or so to get them in the neighborhood, but guess what? she idles and my plugs are tannish now.

Seriously, keep it simple, one step at a time. Like many others here, I've banged my head on the wall over little things. I couldn't get spark for 2 weeks on a bike I had just swapped the coils on...guess what I didn't do??? Connect the main ground....duh. Another time I couldn't get a bike to start. It'd start and run and I chased this issue for ever. you know what it was? somehow the petcock vacuum tube came off. after that? vrooom! she started right up. :oops:

10. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

My x wouldn't idle. Carb mix screws were set at 2.5 (or so I swear they were). Pulled the plugs, whiter than a sheet of copy paper. I came out an additional 1 turns on the mix screws. Took me about an hour or so to get them in the neighborhood, but guess what? she idles and my plugs are tannish now.

Seriously, keep it simple, one step at a time. Like many others here, I've banged my head on the wall over little things. I couldn't get spark for 2 weeks on a bike I had just swapped the coils on...guess what I didn't do??? Connect the main ground....duh. Another time I couldn't get a bike to start. It'd start and run and I chased this issue for ever. you know what it was? somehow the petcock vacuum tube came off. after that? vrooom! she started right up. :oops:

11. spiderman3k

spiderman3k New Member

well guys.. here what sup. chacal guide me thru (thxz master) he told me if i was going with pod i have to re-jetted the carbs. and i dindt change . so i went back to the original filter.. and i open the mufflers.. too loud.. anyway the first day dindt do crap.. cranking but nothing else.. i did have spark brand new plugs and gas.. i took the plugs out to check x spark full of gas.. anyway i left it with there overnight.. and next morning i turn the key and i press the start button and voila its alive.. i dont know what cause the problem but.. i did drive all day today and runs perfectly... sync and tune.. c if start do the problems again.. i still thinking its a electrical problem
    thxz guys and chacal x ur time ..i think the screw got set up at 3/14 turn.. if work some somebody...