1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Yes... another chopper/bobber 550 Updated 2/21/11

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ST675, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Blackout550

Blackout550 Member

Re: Yes... another chopper/bobber 550

bike looks great!, makes be wana stretch and rigid mine real bad

2. ST675

ST675 New Member

Re: Yes... another chopper/bobber 550

Update.....

This texas heat is a killer this time of year....I went and did a little shopping last weekend for a rear fender. I was going to use the stock front fender on the back but it was just to skinny. at the local motorcycle graveyard I spotted a rear fender that I tought would look great on the bike . It had holes drilled in the side exaclty where I wanted to mount the rear blinkers and already has the holes cut to mount a rear light. The fender is from a honda goldwing 1100 cerca early 80's

So I marked off the rear tube were I needed to weld on bolts, welded them on, drilled holes on the rear fender for the bolts to go through. and made side support braces to help give it some strength. At the top of the braces is were the blinkers will go so the bolts are just temporary.. The good thing about this rear fender is it has all kinds of support braces welded in from honda on the underside of the fender. It will not move once it is fully in. and IMO with the fender on it looks MUCH more like a bike!. Hopefully next weekend I can get the seat done....

here are some pics for your enjoyment!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. leadboots

leadboots Member

Re: Yes... another chopper/bobber 550 "UPDATED 8/22"

the frame looks really good

4. ST675

ST675 New Member

bump to bring back from the dead :)

5. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Any more pics of this build?

6. ST675

ST675 New Member

I have quite a bit, anything in particular you wanted to see? I will try to get more back uploaded tonight

7. F.H.

F.H. Member

nice frame work... really really clean work and looks really good.

one advice though... get rid of the rear fender and get a smaller one. its not that big is bad, but that paticular one that you hove has a curve that does not suite the rear tires well, espeially when it sits that close to it.

as you probably already saw... it tends to sit closer to the tire in the middle, and flares out towards the ends... get something that sits flush all around!

cheers
    Doc

8. ST675

ST675 New Member

Ya, that was the first fit. I think I am actually going to chop the back 1/3rd off. Thus having the end of the fender just past the top of the tire.

And if that doesn't look right, its back to the junkyard looking for more. LOL this was from a early 80's goldwing

9. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

More pics of the frame mods would be nice. I'm planning on hardtailing an extra 550 Seca frame and eliminating the triple backbone in the process. Always nice to get new ideas from how others approached modifying their bikes.

10. ST675

ST675 New Member

Here ya go.

I had to cut a plate out in the shape of the rear brake support to "gusset" the new bottom frame to the old. This is also before the splatter was cleaned up...
    [​IMG]

This one you can see the other side gusset. This was also before I capped the tube just above the rear brake.
    [​IMG]

This was the beginning of the rear, after the swing arm was stretched. Plugs were welded in the old frame, then the DOM tube splipped over and welded to the plug.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Lookin good. I hadn't thought about doing it the way you have. How far has this project come since those pics were taken?

12. ST675

ST675 New Member

I just started it back up after a while off. Next steps for me is moving a cross bar to make room for the chain, then maybe start the rebuild of the carbs.. or build the exhaust.. LOL lots to pick form

13. CutandWeld

CutandWeld New Member

How are you doing a chain conversion? I'm new to this bike.

14. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

The 550 is chain drive.