1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 Seat Ideas?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jvswan, Aug 12, 2009.

1. jvswan

jvswan Member

While I'm waiting for some new tires, I started thinking about the seat on my bike. When I ride it, I end up sliding forward to the point where I'm up on the tank unless I constantly push myself back. It is uncomfortable on my backside, but it is also uncomfortable to ride as it puts my feet right below my butt, making it harder to shift (my ankle has to flex more in this position) too.

Any suggestions? A custom seat isn't going to be in the cards for me unless I win the lottery, or something. So, I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive alternative. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

If you take the cover off (just a bunch of staples) you can sculpt the foam into whatever makes your back-side happy.
    BUT once it's cut off, it's hard to put back.

A buddy has one that the PO hacked down almost to the pan (cut about 2 inches out of it)
    And I have one that a PO added about 2 inches of foam to (it's almost flat from the back seat)

Go to a hobby or craft shop and check out the different foam available. You'll want something with enough density to make a difference otherwise it will just get squished down and not help much.

3. XJ700VET

XJ700VET Member

4. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Local shops have seat foam? K, havent checked that out yet. My foam is about worn out. Where else can we aquire new foam?

5. jvswan

jvswan Member

Hey Vet, thanks! That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for. Can't wait to tear into the seat, now! Bigger nose, more cradle. Perfect.

6. XJ700VET

XJ700VET Member

Glad I could help out. I think that I got the link to that site here. Someone else was trying to modify their seat. I used some of the ideas to get my seat to fit my a$$ almost perfect. One thing that I found greatly helpfull was using a pnumatic stapler. Saves time and effort struggling with the material when buttoning it back up.

Cheers
    Ken

7. fore4runner

fore4runner Member

Anyone have a source for new seat cover material?

8. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Go to your local fabric/craft store. They should have marine grade vinyl sold by the yard.

9. Kruizin

Kruizin New Member

Well I had the same problem with my 81 550 Maxim when I replaced the shocks with hard bars to lower it, every time I hit a bump I ended up on the tank, I checked my local bike yard and asked about a different seat. So I tried a few used ones from Honda's and didnt like the looks even the newer Corbin looked wrong and sat too high, so I gave up and torn off the cover and just added foam and recovered it, after about a season of riding it well same problem , so I seen a ad in our local Kijiji buy and sell and went to look at a used goldwing seat bought it for 40 bucks and after some mods to the seat under neath and removing the little tool box area at the back where my old seat hooked in, I ended up with a good comfortable seat , Hell even the old lady loves the cushion on the bumps..lol..Not that matters any way...lol