1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carb question needle valve setting Mikuni

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jamings67, Aug 16, 2009.

1. jamings67

jamings67 Member

I have a 1982 xj1100 and I just finished cleaning my carbs. I was wondering what to do with the needle valve setting. The screw on the bottom of the carbs. I think this is for the air fuel mix but my manual states that the ajustment is set at the factory and is not to be adjusted. I just don't know if anyone played with them and would like to know how to bench set them.
    I think most carbs are set 2 1/2 turns out from bottom. Please help if you know how to set this..... I have the MIKUNI type.

Thanks

2. ItsMikey

ItsMikey Member

If you're talking about the 4 screws at the bottom of the float bowls, those are the drain screws. The idle mixture screws are accessed from the top of the carbs, and may still have the caps on them. I say caps, but they are really brass discs. With the caps in place, you would never guess that there are any screws anywhere, if you didn't know any better. 2 and a half turns sounds about right for a start. They will have to be fine tuned from there. You can't really clean the pilot circuit without removing the mixture screws. There is a needlescrew, a spring, a washer, and an o-ring inside the hole. The system is very much the same as the Hitachis.