1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How moody is your bike?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JoshuaTSP, Aug 18, 2009.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Member

How does it run from day to day? :?:

2. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

The only thing that changes on mine is if I let it sit for a couple of days it takes 2 to 3 times to start and stay running on the choke. It fires up every time but will die after 2 or 3 seconds or so then fires right back up. I problably should get the set screw for the #4 carb enrichment plunger arm but on cold days I just reach down and hold it up by hand for a couple of seconds and its ok. All my rides have their little things you need to know to drive them its what makes them mine. :)

3. helmet

helmet Member

I will tell you after I replace the air filter... it will mess up all my settings going back to a stock paper filter.

4. dmx_xs400L

dmx_xs400L Member

My XS400L Maxim did that before I leaned the carbs. Then after my "tune up" I couldn't start it at all with the choke on. Now what I have to do is *no* choke, just a bit of throttle, rev her up over 4000 rpms (I go to 6000) for 2 seconds or so then put the choke on and let her warm up at 3000-4000 rpms for 30 seconds or so, then down to 2000 rpms for a minute and she is fine for the day (normal startup afterwards).

She doesn't quit on me anymore, like if the alternator now kicks in and before did not - getting the current from the battery alone. I had to recharge the battery more often too.

One young mechanic tells me the pressure on both cylinders is uneven - a 30 pound difference according to him. This might explain or not the need to throttle her on startup. This might change after I get the valve/cylinder fixed, it that is really the problem.

5. clhannah

clhannah Member

both my XJ's start and run really well -- I think I am really lucky to have two very good ones. My gf's cheap chinese scooter, OTOH, is a picky little biatch, but I am really fond of it!

6. rob_lit79

rob_lit79 Member

My Maxim starts great every time. If it sits for more than three days I usually put it up on the center stand and turn the petcock to PRI for a min. or so before I start it. It does not like to idle at 1100rpm until it is fully warmed up. It doesn't warm up very fast at all. I usually have to set the "choke" to where it will idle about 1800rpm for about 5-6 mins. on a cold start. And is fully warmed up after a few miles down the rode. In all it runs great. I am annoyed with the transmission. I'm having problems with 1st to 2nd gear shift. It just goes straight into neutral follow by high revs. I pull the clutch back in to shift it again and hear a loud clunk as it finally goes into 2nd. I think possibly a new clutch might help. I have know idea when it was last replaced.

7. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

Mine starts first time every time and runs flawlessly. So should yours. A properly tuned and decently maintained Seca 650 is about as stone-axe reliable as any bike ever built. If your electrics and carbueration are in good order, your bike should run like a Swiss watch, barring major engine abuse and neglect over a long period of time.

8. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Starts within two seconds of pushing the button (usually in < 1 second), hot or cold, after 10 minutes sitting or 10 days.

Runs pretty good cold, but does take 10 to 20 minutes of riding to really warm up and hit peak power and smoothness.