1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

oil

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by yardape, Aug 23, 2009.

1. yardape

yardape New Member

got a question when i fire my bike on ether it pumps oil in to the air box is the only way for it to get ther bad rings aka blow by :?:

2. turtlemann14

turtlemann14 Member

blow by or way to much oil in the crank case

3. johntc

johntc Member

Not necessarily. First check your oil level. Overfill or gas leaking into the crankcase could be the cause.

Get down on your hands and knees and sniff the oil at the filler hole to see if it smells like gas.

Explain actions to passers-by, they'll probably be glancing over their shoulders as they walk away. If wife sees this don't bother trying to explain, she'll never believe it anyway.

Wait around a bit and one of the wizards will be along with better advice.

4. yardape

yardape New Member

doesn,t run right now unless u spray instant start in it just went threw the carb and am a little agrevated. put 3 quarts in it yesterday

5. johntc

johntc Member

When you say it doesn't run do you mean you just use the instant start to get it going and then it runs or do you have to keep squirting it to keep it running?

Either of these could be a petcock issue (completely separate from your oil problem). Need to make sure you're getting fuel to the carbs.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Three quarts is overfilled; you have a sight glass, on the RH side below the big bulge on the clutch cover.

When the bike is on the sidestand, there should be no oil showing.

When the bike is on the centerstand, the oil level should be just above the upper mark, with just a "bubble" showing at the top. A SLIGHT overfill is desirable to keep the oil light from coming on during acceleration.
    Three quarts, however, is overfilled and you will get oil pumping out the breather. There is a number, followed by "CM3" cast into your clutch cover by the filler. That is the oil volume, in CC's. 1000ccs/liter, a quart is slightly less than a liter.

7. yardape

yardape New Member

thx fitz

8. fintip

fintip Member

I put three containers of oil (.954 L or so) after a full change, and my oil level is only slightly above the halfway mark. Is this normal? My etched in capacity is 2500cc, so I'm a bit thrown off... Shouldn't that have overfilled it? I originally did 2 and 2/3rds bottles, but it seemed like it wanted more, so I put more. Several days later, it holds there, on center stand. No evident leaks, either. Should I be concerned? I did replace the oil filter after the change, perhaps that accounts for the extra oil?

Also, where is the 'full' notch? I see two notches next to my window, one right above the bottom, and one right below the top. Nothing else.

9. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

As long as it is between the 2 marks you are seeing on the site window then you are okay. I personally fill it to the top of the site window and this seems to be just fine.

10. CapnRedbeard

CapnRedbeard Member

Fintip,

The notch below the top is the full - high level.

Oil level will require small amount of additional oil when replacing filter as well.

I generally fill up to high level and leave to stand, run up and warm engine stop and then leave to cool and check and refill as necessary. Monitor condition and levels from then on.